PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner trekking from Boston to Nashville

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Default New owner trekking from Boston to Nashville

I bought my H3T earlier this week. Had a transport company lined up but they flaked out on me. So I hopped a plane yesterday morning and decided to drive it back to Nashville from Southborough, MA. Bad idea. Much of the Mid-Atlantic is getting nailed by snow. I feel 100% comfortable on the road, but I'm worried about the idiots out there that I can't control, so I'm currently holed up in a hotel in Baltimore waiting it out.

The truck is great though. It's very solid, heavy on the road, and the V8 acceleration is better than I expected. Came with a slant-back cap on it and there is ZERO rear visibility. That has to come off as soon as I'm home, so if you're looking for one (in carbon black), I'll make you a good deal.

One thing that did bother me on the drive last night: When the truck is at 70+ MPH, there is a rattle sound (wind noise?) coming from the front edge of the roof, probably from the marker light kit. I'm wondering if it's not secured properly. If I remove the kit, will I still get this noise from the piece that replaces it?

Wish me luck!

Old 12-19-2009, 01:53 PM

Good luck dude! I did the same thing when I bought my first jeep. Flew to Dallas and drove back to NJ. Do you mind me asking what you paid for your alpha? Did you get all the bells and whistles with it? Thanks!

Old 12-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Nice ride, I mean I love the H3T, and you have a nice trek to go along with the ride.
I'd like that slant back, but from your perspective, maybe no a good idea.
Well you are soon to be on the road, perhaps you can sell it before you get home.
Put an ad here and you may be able to avoid shipping it.

The Hummers certainly give you a very safe feeling while driving in fowl weather.
Take it slow and congratulations on the new Hummer.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 PM

It was a good move to stop. Interstate 81 through VA was a parking lot for about 24 Hours. It is just now starting to move. We had about 20 inches of snow here in Southwest VA. It was really the first time to really test my H3 in the snow. It did great and that was with the stock 265 Wranglers. Safe travels.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Good luck with the truck glad you had safe travels... What are you plans with the truck? Get those pics up of her

Old 12-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Still in Baltimore. Been here for 2 nights. Heading out first thing in the morning for the long drive to Nashville.

Plans for the truck... I'm definitely getting rid of the slant-back cap. I prefer the "truck" look and the rear visibility is a real issue for me. Will be removing the slide-out bed as well. The truck has the off-road suspension, so it's currently on standard chrome 16" rims with Bridgestone 285's. I'd like to replace the wheels/tires soon and am leaning toward the 17" XD Hoss (or Addict) with a slightly more aggressive 285 tire. I'm undecided on whether a leveling kit (or a t-bar crank) is a good idea. The chrome side steps and brush guard will be replaced with their smoke grey factory counterparts. I don't mind a little chrome, but would like to limit it to the grille, door handles and mirrors.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 PM

Baltimore to Nashville in 12 hours flat. Traffic was flawless. Glad to be home. I'll get pics up soon.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:54 PM

congrats on getting her home safely... enjoy it!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Kinda sucks they made you take the bedcap - those things aren't cheap.

The noise is probably from the lights -- you can ask the local dealer to put some more adhesive underneath, but those lights have always has noise issues -- some worse than others.

Can't remove the kit -- it's drilled into the roof metal, so you'd have unsightly holes. It doesn't replace any trim pieces, it's just an add-on.

Congrats on the truck!

Old 05-22-2015, 12:52 PM
DLT

I just did a similar deal! Purchased the H3T in New Hampshire and drove back to Oklahoma... The truck did great the whole drive, and we had an awesome trip.

Quick Reply: New owner trekking from Boston to Nashville