PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way off topic (but really I own an H3)-going on honeymoon to Phoenix area, things to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Default Way off topic (but really I own an H3)-going on honeymoon to Phoenix area, things to do?

Hey guys,

I didnt' want to tie anybody up...but me and the soon-to-be missus are heading for Phoenix from Aug 18-25, and while we were there I wanted to get some input on things to see and do while in the area from anybody who might actually LIVE there! We are staying in Carefree actually, and I rented a Grand Cherokee for the week (have you seen what WRANGLER goes for???????).

Any input would be appreciated!!! Thanks alot!

Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Default RE: Way off topic (but really I own an H3)-going on honeymoon to Phoenix area, things to do?

Mike, it's gonna be HOT here. What do you want to do? Off-roading? Sightseeing in Sedona? Grand Canyon is a bit far from Phx, about 4+ hours each way. There's lots of sightseeing around AZ; I think Phx is a bit weak for sightseeing. There are some cool things: if you like architecture, go see Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West. Baseball? Dbacks are in town--only ballpark with a pool beyond right field and airconditioning throughout. Shopping? Your wife will be in heaven. Golf? You're set in Phx.

If you are off-roading be careful as it is easy to get desert pinstriping here and you don't want that liability in a rental. If you want to chat more, PM me.
[/align]

Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 AM
Default RE: Way off topic (but really I own an H3)-going on honeymoon to Phoenix area, things to do?

Your new wife will want a divorce after dragging her around in a JEEP!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

Your new wife will want a divorce after dragging her around in a JEEP!
Hahaha..oh man!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:29 AM

ok, other thoughts--Spa day at Camelback Inn. Great dinners--Binkley's (near where you are staying); Cowboy Ciao, downtown Scottsdale; Roy's Pacific Rim cuisine; Scottsdale; Roaring Fork, Scottsdale; most of those are pricey, so check menus first. [/align]

Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 PM

Thank you very much for the input. I'll take a look at the restuarants...really appreciate the suggestion. As far as the Jeep thing goes...well...we own one anyway, so...

If only I could have rented an H3 (or a Wrangler that wasn't $275 for three hours

Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 PM

When you get to Phx just ask the rental agency if they have a Wrangler available for the same price. It's hot here, car rentals are slow at least compared to spring. When I travel around the country I often get the car I want just by asking and I always rent a compact or mid-size. Usually I end up in a Chrysler 300, Sebring convertible or nice SUV (usually Thrifty or Dollar). Heck, it was by asking that I ended up with this Hummer. I rented one in Denver for a week and initially they gave me a mini-van. I groaned and asked if I could have an H3 instead. They said "Sure!" and they gave it to me for my original price of a Pontiac G3 (Thank you Avis). I liked the Hummer so much I bought one when I got off the plane back in Phoenix.

So, ask the agency when you get here, you might just end up in a Wrangler at no extra charge, especially since you're already paying for an SUV.
[/align]

Old 08-14-2007, 04:45 PM

I live in PHX also. Lots to do. Good restaurants, golf, and shopping (scottsdale). As Alrock says, would definitely head up north to Sedona and maybe up to Flagstaff (only about 2 hrs.), all pine trees and Mtns. up there. May also want to head down to Tucson (bout 2 hr. drive). Scenery there is a bit nicer than PHX, I think, it will be probably 6-10 degrees cooler. Lots to do there, nice drive up to Mt. Lemmon (8K feet), nice town at the top, Summerhaven. Desert Museum gives you a good idea of the outdoor life. Between Phoenix, Flagstaff, and Tucson, thatgivesyou a real good idea ofAZ with the desert and high country.Wheel that Jeep out in the desert! Just take I-10 towards Tucson and dump off somehwere in the desert and have fun.