PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump replace 08 Alpha 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:28 AM
Question Water pump replace 08 Alpha 5.3

I find a lot of info about repairs to 5 cyl models, but not so much on 5.3 engine.
The CD Manual I bought doesn't even cover much 5.3 info.
You gotta love buying used cars, thank god I got tools.
Now I go out and find a puddle of coolant under the engine.
I removed the skid plate and noted the drips are coming from the front of the engine, hoses all good, radiator ok, looks like water pump.
Already ordered parts, need any advise, shortcuts, warnings about doing this job. I'm sure its pretty straight forward once I get to the pump itself...It's the "getting to it" procedure I'm most concerned with.
Any help would be appreciated!!

Old 03-09-2017, 05:57 PM

Pretty much the same process as on any GM 5.3 to 6.2 small block. Maybe with a few small bracket or accessory mounting point differences.

Search "gm 5.3 liter water pump replacement" online. Should be 50+ videos and 1000s of posts on different forums and blogs.

Last edited by TAINTER; 03-09-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:50 PM

Thanks Tainter
As I said, I saw those videos, and have no problem with r&r of the water pump. It's all the other plastic stuff that's in the way that I don't want to break if I don't take off correctly. Has no one on this forum a V8 and had to take that stuff off before??
No matter, going out in about an hour to get started...maybe i'll put up a how to for future victims.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:07 AM

Plastic stuff? Engine cover and intake tube?

Old 03-10-2017, 04:56 AM

WOW! A condescending jerk TWICE (Google it if you need). To answer your question, I was referring to the shroud that has refrigerant line clipped to it with no obvious removal method short of poking around with a screw driver etc. (something i'm not about to do) and a fan that has a design different than any other I had seen on the videos (bolt nearly inaccessible).

I am a member of many different forums, Jaguar, Kia Optima, K5 Blazer to name a few, have a full set of tools and a sufficient IQ, and have never encountered less help or more rude interaction! if you don't have something helpful to type...find something more constructive to do with your fingers.

Thanks a lot...My shortcut to this forum has been deleted.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:30 PM

Sorry if you found the responses and questions condescending. I should have done the research for you and posted it all.

When did you say you watched any 5.3 water pump replacement videos in this post? Are we to assume you did? Many people come to HF for advise with varied DIY skill levels.

Originally Posted by AZ Solar Flare
I find a lot of info about repairs to 5 cyl models, but not so much on 5.3 engine.
The CD Manual I bought doesn't even cover much 5.3 info.
You gotta love buying used cars, thank god I got tools.
Now I go out and find a puddle of coolant under the engine.
I removed the skid plate and noted the drips are coming from the front of the engine, hoses all good, radiator ok, looks like water pump.
Already ordered parts, need any advise, shortcuts, warnings about doing this job. I'm sure its pretty straight forward once I get to the pump itself...It's the "getting to it" procedure I'm most concerned with.
Any help would be appreciated!!
VIDEOS
https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...&fr=ymyy-t-999

MANUAL PHOTOS
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...f&action=close

Also you where not specific on the "plastic stuff" like coolant or condenser lines. We should have guess on that also. Plenty of posts on radiator R&R here too. They would have yielded the results you where looking for.

The clips on the radiator shroud will release by inserting a small standard screwdriver into the locking mechanism.

You can borrow a fan puller from your local auto parts store. Also available on the Autozone website is this (with photos): | Repair Guides | Engine Fan | Removal & Installation | AutoZone.com

5.3L Engine
Specific to:
Hummer H3 2006-2010

1. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
2. Remove the fan shroud.
A. Drain the cooling system.
B. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
C. Unclip the lower section of the shroud assembly from the upper shroud for removal.
D. Remove the radiator inlet hose.
E. Remove the radiator outlet hose retainers.
F. Remove the A/C line retainers and reposition.
G. Disconnect the fan shroud tab.

Click image to see an enlarged view
[Didn't copy the photo]
Fig. Disconnect the fan shroud tab (1) and remove the fan shroud (2)
H. Remove the fan shroud from the vehicle.
3. Using fan clutch remover and installers (J 41240 and EN-48543), loosen the fan clutch.
NOTE
If additional clearance is needed between tools substitute 10 / 32 thread 1 / 2 inch set screws on EN-48543 for the socket head cap screws as supplied, use thread lock if needed.
4. Remove the fan hub nut in a counterclockwise rotation.
5. Remove the cooling fan from the fan clutch.
Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. Remove the cooling fan (1) from the fan clutch
To install:
1. Install the cooling fan to the fan clutch.
CAUTION
Do not use or attempt to repair a damaged cooling fan assembly. Replace damaged fans with new assemblies. An unbalanced cooling fan could fly apart causing personal injury and property damage.
2. Install the EN-48543 and the J 41240 to the fan clutch.
3. Install the fan hub nut to the pulley and hand tighten in a clockwise rotation. Tighten the fan clutch nut clockwise to 41 ft. lbs. (56 Nm).
4. Install the fan shroud.
5. Install the air cleaner outlet duct.