PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck started to shake on acceleration and up hill

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
How many miles on the motor? A plugged cat will give the same symptoms.
78K miles, plugged cat is what catalityc converter?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Raffi76
Yes I cleaned it properly as I have done one time in the past also, but as I mentioned there is no code for the MAF sensor anymore. It is possible the code was there before I cleaned it and just has not cleared when I read it again after cleaning..... I could have sworn I cleared the codes at that time but maybe I just don't remember.
thanks jbwk for the part number, I Was thinking that but wasn't sure. Any ides which cylinder is number 4? not sure at which end to start counting but I think its the 2nd cylinder from me when standing in front of the car.
cylinder 1 is closest to the radiator

Old 02-12-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jbwk254
cylinder 1 is closest to the radiator
why would that single cylinder cuz the shaking and not the others? the error shows P0304, I read that the cylinders are 1-3-5-4-2 reading from the radiator?

I have another question. I am draining my antifreeze now and its coming out orange, do I need to buy some special antifreeze for the truck? I just got the regular advanced auto brand and I assume it will be green? I guess I need the dex-cool fluid

Last edited by Raffi76; 02-12-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Raffi76
Yes I cleaned it properly as I have done one time in the past also, but as I mentioned there is no code for the MAF sensor anymore. It is possible the code was there before I cleaned it and just has not cleared when I read it again after cleaning..... I could have sworn I cleared the codes at that time but maybe I just don't remember.
thanks jbwk for the part number, I Was thinking that but wasn't sure. Any ides which cylinder is number 4? not sure at which end to start counting but I think its the 2nd cylinder from me when standing in front of the car.
Cylinder #1 is closest to the front, 4 is second from the back.

Your second set of codes do not have much of a relationship at all the the first set you mentioned.... other than, if you have a bad Tstat that is causing the engine to not reach full operation temp (P0128) can also trigger the O2 sensor codes because the exhaust gas ratio is out of wack while the engine is in warm up mode so to speak. The PCM can erroneously think the O2 sensor is not heating fast enough/properly. You won't see much of that spelled out in the online code checker pages, it is something you learn from seeing.

While a bad O2 sensor can cause rough running, I've never seen it cause shuddering under load.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:50 PM

DO NOT put the green stuff into your radiator. Use Dexcool.
Mixing the green stuff with the Dexcool that remains in your system after draining will clog up your cooling system.
The different coolants will react with each other and congeal.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:05 PM

just out of curiosity, if I buy a coil that is not the same as the ones that came with the car, does it matter if one is different? meaning different brand.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:11 PM

So I finally replaced the thermostat, removing that hose and then getting the thermostat back on was a nightmare :/. Refilled the coolant but don't want to run the car to check for leaks and such because it runs so poorly with that misfire code. Will try to get the new coil on tonight and then run it for a while. It is so cold outside it makes it hard to work for longer periods of time.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:40 PM

So I took out the coil and it looks perfectly fine, its not one of the ones I had to clean originally when replacing the plugs. Can it still be bad even though it doesn't show signs of wear? I also took out coil 5 and that one is one of the ones that was cleaned. I will use that to switch coils and test.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:02 PM

Can I please get some help here troubleshooting? so I removed the spark plug from cylinder 4 and it was a bit dirty towards the bottom since I changed it a month or two ago. I cleaned it and then swapped coils 4 with 5. When I scanned right after this I was getting all the same codes but I figured I need to first reset them so I did. Then I started the car and rescanned. only getting the P0030 code now. However the car runs for a few seconds and just dies (it runs a bit like it was gasping for air). Is it because I have the intake taken off (part that goes from air filter to throttle body) ? I thought I could test with this off but I guess I will need to take this off and put it back on for each test?

Last edited by Raffi76; 02-14-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:46 PM

So I did not wait and put everything together. At first the truck seemed to run just fine. Took for a ride and it went up the first hill fine and accelerated good. Second hill started to choke/shake again. I scanned again and all I am getting is the P0030 P0030 P and P0135 P (not sure why pending). No misfire codes, can the oxygen sensor be causing this poor performance from the engine? I am worried that the misfire code was there and I feel like its too much of a coincidence for them to be both on at the same time and an oxygen sensor to be causing the problem. Do I need to run the car for a while for misfire codes to come back?

I just read somewhere that bad oxygen sensor can make the spark plugs black/dirty? Which one should I be replacing, based on the codes I found an article online that its driver side, I Was looking at the passanger side all along and I believe someone even posted a link to it here.

On a side note, is it possible for the oxygen sensor to get bad readings if I had a hole in the exhaust/muffler? I have been noticing a smell for a while (perhaps normal) from I think exhaust and I know my pipes rattle a little bit as of late.

Last edited by Raffi76; 02-14-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Truck started to shake on acceleration and up hill