PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Power Failure Due To Blown Engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Default Total Power Failure Due To Blown Engine!!

OK folks here's the scoop. We towed our poor H3 to dealer before even bright and early on Monday with note of what befell us. (See Pervious posting) We wondered when did not hear anything for a while then a call just before noon.

Our engine completely blew up internally! At that point the shop tech said he only had unrecognizable pieces! We are in bit of shock to say the least.

This is a unit that always ran great. It has 70K miles and still a minimum 19 - 20MPG (Love that 5 speed. Also we try to never use the cruise.) My husband always made sure got proper service. We didn't alter unit for higher preformance, excluding exhust and air filter. We're somewhat "oldtimers" Though we travel a lot we're not in any hurry to get where we're going so have rarily pushed the speed limit! (Did get stopped in UTAH for Not driving over 65, in left lane, we were only doing 60,(Well we slowed from 65 when saw police car!) though not another car for miles in either direction! Only given a warning must drive 65 in the left! haha) So needless to say we've never redlined the unit! And being a 5 speed should have been easier on it yet!

Anyway we never heard a sound. Not grind, or squeal, clink, bump, pop, Went from 50MPH to coasting as if the key had been shut off. No outward sign of damage, As in dripping oil or rod sticking through a hole!! Guessing must be top end trouble. Haven't been told further other than a new long block is a good one week away. (Guess Denver not big enough to stock a spare.) The Tech seemed knowledgeable enough, my husband asked a few questions (BTW my husband used to work in a speed shop building race car engines back in the day) Tech said this is not an usual occurrence. That this was a first for him and he'd been here for some years.

That's the story! Has anyone else experienced this? Are we that rare one? We thought we researched this unit pretty good before purchase. It seemed to be pretty reliable steady powerplant. Though maybe not most powerful, still just a good basic work horse. We've had no complaints. Well until this!

All I can think is . . . we were suppose to back in middle of Northern Nebraska 150 miles the other side of nowhere. And was terrible raining weekend to boot! So glad work here got in the way and had to stay home!! Would have been hundreds of miles tow (probably by a friendly farmer) just to get to a dealer we didn't know! Then find our sad way home! Oddly enough in ways we were lucky! That and thank god under warranty!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:30 PM

That is strange for it to just let go like that. The good news is you will have a new engine and it wont cost anything.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 PM

The story is -valve keeper broke - hense - engine all broke.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:48 PM

I had my front differentials explode while driving all under warranty....good luck with yours.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:35 PM

I know this is a very old thread but I just had the exact thing happen in my 08'!!!!!!!! what a cluster!!!! still all seems a little weird for it to randomly do this with no precursors!! Towed it back to grandparents land in Colorado till I can decide what to do

Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

If you know its an OLD thread, like SEVEN YEARS OLD, why????? Accomplishes nothing.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/n...bumping-23220/

Old 10-10-2017, 11:02 AM

I see your sticky about necro-bumping but I really don't understand why. We use the search feature to find if anyone has had similar issues in the past and if one finds a relative thread why start a new one? Isn't it better to keep all like information in the same thread no matter how old?