PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torsion Lift now a vibration or shutter on highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Default Torsion Lift now a vibration or shutter on highway

Did the Torsion lift. Kept it under 23.5" and around 23.25 for both. Now it seems like when I get up to highway speeds, the truck seems to vibrate or shudder like a tire is out of balance or something. Any ideas? I'm planning on replacing the bump stops (or dampeners) with longer ones. Will this help me any?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Banned

did you get alignment yet? when u raise it ,it whacks the alignment,,??

Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 PM

Would that give me a shudder like a bad tire or something??

Old 09-12-2011, 04:05 PM

Almost every single post says to get an alignment after adjusting the torsion bars. This is to correct the caster, camber and toe issues that can be caused by doing the torsion bar adjustment. You may be way out of alignment and riding on the inside/outside of your tires or they may be pointed in (toe) toward each other.

I went and got the lifetime Firestone alignment due to wheeling and needing an alignment quite often to save my expensive MTs. It has already paid for itself many, many times over with 5 alignments in 1 year and only cost 1.5 alignments worth at the time I got mine.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info. Never knew that being out alignment would cause the tires to hop like that. Thanks again!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:44 PM

You are not only chaning the height of the front end you are also changing the entire geometry of the front suspension. There may have been a small issue already that has now come out in full force due to the change in the suspension geometry.

Either way, you need to have your HUMMER aligned for "tracking" and "tire wear" any way, let us know if the problem still exists after the alignment.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM

I too bought the lifetime alignment at firestone. It pays for itself quick. I even printed a $20 off coupon on their site before I went in.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
There may have been a small issue already that has now come out in full force due to the change in the suspension geometry..
Whatcha talking bout Willis?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Even after my alignment I still had a little vibration / shudder I could feel at highway speeds that wasn't there before I leveled. I had raised mine to 24 on both sides, checked it a couple times and then got the alignment. I checked it off to the front shafts being moved out and the splines meshing up in a different spot. It went away after about three or four months and never done it again. After your alignment if its still doing it I wouldn't worry very much, mine went away.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM

I got the same thing after doing my torsion lift. Turns out the torsion lift magnified the ill effects of my worn out passenger side ball joints. Got the ball joints off earlier today and they were toast, so floppy I could move them around with the tip of a finger.

Drives like a dream now after alignment, and the popping I could feel in the steering wheel is totally gone.

Quick Reply: Torsion Lift now a vibration or shutter on highway