Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Time to switch out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Default Time to switch out?

Had my 09 H3 for 4 years in september and its a great looking car and never had any issues with it, but with my awful 11.3 mpg and $3.50 gas, its not very pleasant shelling out $70 every other week. I also realize that i should have bit the bullet and got the V8 alpha, because my extremely weak pick-up is getting pretty annoying.

looking at that new mercedes CLA coming out with 30 mpg. can't tell if it looks cool or not. honestly just looking to switch out my h3 while i can still get a pretty good price for it. any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM

How in the world are you only getting 11 mpg?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by egroegart

My thoughts exactly. I get around that, but I have very heavy wheels and tires. There are plenty of mods you can do to help the mileage and horsepower issue. I wouldn't trade my 06 with 120k for anything less than an alpha

Old 06-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by egroegart
got big tires, i don't know what to tell you, I'm dumbfounded as well. i asked the mechanic at last service and he attributed it to the wheels but he still thought it was odd.

im also very skeptical of the mpg-improving gimmicks like performance chips. got a friend with an F250 and he says it hasn't been running right since the "upgrade"

Old 06-04-2013, 07:39 PM

im getting around 12 mpg right now but thats because its running rich and cant find the source of the problem. normaly i get around 15-16. theres gotta be something wrong. dig some more and find out.
If your gonna do anything like a "performance chip ", do a pcm upgrade from pcmofnc.com. It improves HP and mpg. you'll see a improvment in excelleration.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 PM

We just checked our mileage last week and it was 17. We have 33" tires. There are a lot of simple things you can check yourself like the air filter, condition of spark plugs faulty sensors pressure regulatorremove unnecessary weight

Our mileage was suffering pretty bad last year and I found it was the throttle body causing it. We were getting like 14 mpg, After I removed and cleaned it we went back up to close to 18.

Before just getting rid of it I would check these things first because that mileage is really low and something is causing it.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by steveng
Had my 09 H3 for 4 years in september and its a great looking car and never had any issues with it, but with my awful 11.3 mpg and $3.50 gas, its not very pleasant shelling out $70 every other week. I also realize that i should have bit the bullet and got the V8 alpha, because my extremely weak pick-up is getting pretty annoying.

looking at that new mercedes CLA coming out with 30 mpg. can't tell if it looks cool or not. honestly just looking to switch out my h3 while i can still get a pretty good price for it. any thoughts or suggestions?
I'm getting 12mpg out of my supercharged I5 flogging it off every set of lights and driving it like I stole it. When the extra power novilty wears off I hope to be at least 15mpg around town and 17mpg or so on the hwy.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by steveng

That's pretty rough mileage, I was getting 16 on average, not sure what I'll get now with the 35s. The CLA is a great looking little car (actually a bit larger than the C), I'm looking at finally parting with my C and getting a CLA in October.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kevwood
That's pretty rough mileage, I was getting 16 on average, not sure what I'll get now with the 35s. The CLA is a great looking little car (actually a bit larger than the C), I'm looking at finally parting with my C and getting a CLA in October.
I think so too. the H3 is a pretty sweet looking car but the CLA looks just as good in my opinion.

also, i did KBB valuation and it said around $25,000 for my 09 H3 with around 29000 miles. then i did autotrader value and it said 16,000?? anyone know a good valuation for a 09 H3 with 29,000 in great condition?

Attached Thumbnails Time to switch out?-2014-mercedes-benz-cla_100421447_l.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 AM

Hey guys, first post here!! A week ago today, on July 1, I traded in my 2008 H3 Lux for a 2008 Victory Red H3X Alpha and love the power I had been missing. The i5 didn't have near the power but I got over 18 mpg on my 360 mile drive to pick up the new ride. I loved the i5 so much but I had always driven a vehicle with a V8 and really missed the power. Especially on the highway or when you just need the extra juice. Now that I have the upgraded engine I am extremely happy and the mpg isn't that much lower, from about 18 to about 16 highway. However the drive back is uphill and there was a nice west texas head wind so it may have been a tad closer than that. If you're still in the market I would suggest taking an Alpha for a test drive and see how you like it.

As far as valuation goes kbb has been a little high for a few years. Autotrader is much closer to what you're likely to get from a dealer on trade in. Your H3 looks nice so depending on what options you have you may get 20K. If you sell it yourself you could possibly get the 25K for it.