PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Default Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure

Hey everyone. The dealer told me my throttle body needed cleaning but they wanted to charge $135 so I told them I'm going to wait on it but the truth be told, I'm just planning on doing it myself. I've been researching and some people take the throttle body apart and clean it and some just leave it on. I would prefer to just leave it on but is there a big difference? Here are the steps I plan on doing:
  1. With the engine off spray the interior of the t-body w/throttle body cleaner and manipulate the blade open and closed.
  2. Take a clean, lint-free rag and wipe off the t-body and blade as best possible.
  3. With the duct still off, start the motor and manually open and close the throttle while spraying the cleaner in there.
  4. After the can is spent, let the engine run a moment untill the idle stabilizes.
  5. Shut off the motor and re-attach the air duct.
  6. Pull the air filter and blow it off a bit and vacuume out all the dust, leaves, and other crud that likes to sit inside the air box.
Am I missing anything or doing something that I shouldn't?

Thanks,

Jason

Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM

I would tell you to get some mass air flow sensor cleaner while your at it... And have someone there to help rev the engine, that will open up the plenum so you can spray it and get the inside... If the motor is off it won't do as an effective of a job. The air filter should NOT have any leaves in there... If it does I would think something is missing or terribly wrong. Clean the basin of the intake filter box, and clean the filter itself. Give yourself an afternoon or evening to do it so it can sit and dry over night...

Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks. What is the best brand of throttle body clearner and MAF cleaner? I know some came harm the fuel system components so I want to be sure to use the correct stuff.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jvorpahl
Thanks. What is the best brand of throttle body clearner and MAF cleaner? I know some came harm the fuel system components so I want to be sure to use the correct stuff.
I use CRC, if you follow the directions on the can you will see that you DO NOT run the motor while cleaning the TB. http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/tchdta/290.pdf

Your step #2 is good, the critical area to clean is right where the closed plate contacts the inside of the throttle bore, all the way round. So with the plate held open, clean that area spotless (use an old toothbrush if super cruddy if you have to). Spray through the idle bypass hole in the top of the TB bore.

Your plan #s 3-5 are not throttle body cleaning, that is an attempt at intake manifold and valve cleaning the TB.

I do know there are a couple products out there that call for running the motor while spraying. Personally I would not resort to that until after cleaning the TB and cleaning the MAF, and only if you still have a rough idle/other TB related symptoms (erratic idle or false stalling feel, stumble at initial take off) when you test drive after cleaning.

Be careful when manipulating the throttle plate, be nice, slow and easy

Last edited by Doc Olds; 01-20-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Thanks so much everyone! I've learned a lot. My last question is about the MAF cleaning. Do I just remove the sensor from the air intake tube and spray it with cleaner or do I have to take it apart somehow?

Old 01-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks so much everyone! I've learned a lot. My last question is about the MAF cleaning. Do I just remove the sensor from the air intake tube and spray it with cleaner or do I have to take it apart somehow?
Yep that is pretty much it, follow the instructions on the can. Basically unplug the connector from the MAF, unscrew the two torque screws (do not drop), remove MAF and spray it a couple good time with the cleaner, do no touch the MAF other that at the connector end that you grabbed to get to remove it, let it dry a short time, put it back in, replace the screws, and snap on the connector.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Up top in the idle bypass area over the throttle plate there is a small hole facing motor side in the TB bore, it feeds to the hose that provides vacuum to EVAP canister and system. When bolted to the intake manifold, this hole turns into a tiny oblong vacuum port right at the gasket seal surface.

If you take off the TB this is real easy to see. If you clean it in place, disconnect the EVAP hose and give it a spray inside the barb. Wipe off the run out inside the bore. You can make an effort at spraying the small hole from inside the bore by being clever once you know that it is there.

From inside, top and to the right of the TB is top when mounted.
Name:  DSCN0366.jpg
Views: 2024
Size:  71.6 KB

Better look at the hose barb to the hole up top..
Name:  DSCN0367.jpg
Views: 2178
Size:  69.5 KB

Old 01-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Just to be clear, I circled the part I think you are talking about. Am I correct?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Just to be clear, I circled the part I think you are talking about. Am I correct?
Yes you are correct.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Not sure if it was really necessary, but I used a toothbrush to scrub some areas of the TB that weren't cleaning up enough to suit me just by using the cleaner and a shop cloth.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure