Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Temp / roar

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 02:15 PM
Default Temp / roar

Hi all,
I have a 2006 h3. 170k miles.
Few weeks ago I noticed my temp gauge was riding at about 3/4 (normally rode just a tick above half) and then noticed an antifreeze smell. Radiator was leaking so replaced it along with Tstat, water pump, fan clutch and serpentine belt. Also topped off tranny fluid and did oil change.
She still runs at 3/4 or above when it's hot out or accelerating on a hill/hwy. Plus now when accelerating the engine roars like a beast. Like the fan is blowing mach3 and It's obnoxiously loud.
Adding to my concern is that the a/c cools great until it's extra hot out or the engine reaches a higher temp (which is now almost a constant)... I live in NM so summer temps are typically triple digit.
Any ideas on my dilemma? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Old 08-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Default Temp / Roar

Old 08-12-2018, 07:56 AM

Just a few thoughts.
Everything is normal. I5's are notorious for faulty Tstats. They open too soon. I replaced mine a few years ago because of poor heat in the winter. Yours could have been doing the same thing. You may have never noticed it due to the lack of cold in your region. Replaced the stat and now it is opening at the proper temp. With it being hot in NM, the radiator is working overtime causing the clutch fan to do it's thing. Pump air through the radiator. This will be noticeable after sitting at a light. My temp gauge consistently runs up to 3/4 when outside temps start getting hot. I rarely see triple digits here in Canada but, I have noticed the AC doesn't work well when sitting at a light for a bit when it's over 30°c (86°F). The amount R134A has been checked several times to try and eliminate the problem. It has always been at full capacity.
It's not normal and there is a problem. It is possible that your condenser could have dirt in the fins restricting air flow through it and the radiator. The coolant may not have been bled properly and the vehicle is low on coolant. Plastic panels, if they exist, on the sides between the rad and condenser were removed or broken during the rad replacement. The new stat could be faulty. The amount of R134A in the AC system isn't enough. Finally, and it's been beat to death in this forum, remember that the temp gauge is not very accurate and is more like an idiot light then a gauge. Let's hope someone living in a hotter climate than me chimes in with their thoughts and comparisons.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 AM

WR3NCHE4D,
Thank you for your thoughts. The clutch fan is definatley doing it's thing... It is just extremely loud now. Never has been before and my daughter has an 07', which is whisper quiet. I'm tempted to try a different one. It's aggravating, I have to thump my music in order to even hear it over my roaring engine. HaHa Haaaaaaa
Same here with the refridgerant in my AC. It has been checked and etc. I feel like it is an issue as you mentioned with the condensor or possibly my compressor is beginning to weaken. I will have to check into that.
I scoured this site for any information regarding my questions prior to joining. I read through all the "temp. gauge" threads... They were helpful yet I had to giggle when you posted them being beat to death... I most definately agree!
Thanks again!
Jules

Old 08-12-2018, 10:59 AM

I live in central California where average daytime temps for summer are 107°, my temp gauge runs just above the halfway mark to 3/4 but haven’t experienced the fan noise. A/C seems to be nice a cool. I was going to change my Tstat but after reading here I decided not to.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Hoff,
Sounds like your gauge rides where used to until the radiator issue. Once it stated leaking my temp started running at 3/4. Now with it repaired it still runs there and while climbing a steep grade on the highway it rose where the needle covered the bottom of the "H" but never higher. I just have to tell myself that it will tell me if it truly overheats and go into 'limp mode'.
My AC is nice and cool at idle and lower RPMs. It seems like it cuts out once there is a load with higher temperatures (outside and/or engine). I'm figuring it's the condenser or compressor.
Thank you for the input!! Hopefully you don't have to experience the fan noise... it sucks.
Jules

Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 AM

Make sure the coolant system does not have any air in it. An air bubble can cause overheating.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:15 AM

Tainter,
Thanks for bringing that up. How do I do that?
Jules

Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

3/4 mark on the idiot gauge is completely normal. All new replacement AC Delco T Stats are 5 degrees F warmer than what the factory originally installed, so you should see a bit higher temp reading than before the replacement.

Clutch fans are loud. Perhaps your old one was tired and not working like it was supposed to, they do wear out over time.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:00 AM

Hi Doc,
Thank you for posting. Agreed, I just get anxious when it begins to actually cover the H. I will get used to it though and will be interested to see how the cooler temperatures affect it as summer comes to a close.
I have read other posts about the clutch fan noise... seems like hit or miss. Since I was replacing the radiator, it made sense to go ahead and renew the fan clutch etc. as well.
Also, had read some about getting an air bubble in the cooling system. It isn't terribly common apparently but can occur. TAINTER reminded me of that possibility. After reading previous posts, I have seen talk about it but no one actually explained what they did to find it or clear it up. Perhaps you could explain this scenario to me?
Thank you so SO much!
Jules

Quick Reply: Temp / roar