Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Sticky turning in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Default Sticky turning in 4wd

Hi guys. I noticed i left my 4h on today. Not to sure how long it was left on but when I went to back out of a spot, I noticed it because it was very hard to turn tightly (like the parking brake was on). Thats when I noticed it was in 4hi and then I switched to Awd. It feels perfectly normal in Awd. But when I switch back to 4wdHi, it feels tight again when I make sharp turns.

It switches in an out of 4hi/4low and Awd fine with no problems. I just want to know if that tight turning is normal in 4wdHi? Feels like im holding the brake down with one foot and trying to press the gas at the same time, when I have the steering wheel turned sharply. Ive only used 4wd once or twice before in grass so I dont really know what it is supposed to feel like on concrete. Is this normal? or did i mess something up driving around in 4hi? Thankyou

Old 09-10-2015, 11:56 AM

you must mean 4hi lock, hi or low. the 2 right buttons. its normal.
keep in 4hi on the left.
its been discussed 1001 times!!

Old 09-10-2015, 12:10 PM

Thankyou! Yes thats what i meant. Just wanted to know if it normally felt like that when turning in 4hi lock. Not sure how the 4hilock got engaged, but scared the **** out of me when I tried to back out of a parking lot, then noticed it was engaged. I switched it back to 4hi and it felt perfectly fine.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Its NORMAL when you fail to follow the directions in the owner's manual. Lock is NEVER to be used on dry pavement.

Lock is just that, it locks the front and rear axles to spin at the same speed, but in order to turn, the front or rear set of wheels (whichever one is traveling the longest arch of your turn/depending upon forward vs backward) needs to spin at a faster speed that the other to avoid binding.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Thankyou Happy and Doc! Made my day much better. I really appreciate the help.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:10 PM

it actually locks the transfer case,locking the front and rear driveshafts. the front and read diffs are still open differentials unless you got lockers.
when you turn,all 4 wheels rotate at different speeds so the diffs need to be open.
if you drive in a circle in fresh snow you can see the 4 different tracks,all different diameters.
thats also why tires squeal,the outside is moving further than the inside of the same tire!!