PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
Like happy hummer said I would check cam position actuator solenoid for missing screens and oil leaking through connector body into harness connector. Also wanna check misfire counts at idle with a good scan tool, if you have light misfire counts on any cylinder you will then need to check cylinder leakdown. Poor valve to seat seal can cause light misfires with no codes at idle.
THIS X2!!!

I have a 2006 with 90k miles. Ever since approx 66k miles, I've had a very rough idle. While coming to a stop, it acts as though it wants to stall (idles so rough the vehicle lightly shakes).
I have replaced the spark plugs, cylinder 5 coil pack, MAF sensor has been cleaned yearly, Throttle body cleaned yearly. Replaced air filter, oil, tranny fluid, T-case fluid, radiator and coolant, Diff fluid, new battery terminals and battery, new cam position sensors, thermostat etc.
Still idles like a monster. Yes, my VIN is within the TSB for leaky seals. I get the P0305 code every other month.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
I read your full thread op. I'm wondering about the cleaning process used for TB?
Was the PCV hose on top of the engine near the back underside of resonator replaced? They tend to dry rot from heat of engine and age.
Did you check to make sure the intake bolts are all tightened down? They have been known to back out.

Chris
Is there a specific torque to tighten these bolts? Last week I began to hear a sucking air noise. When I push the intake "manifold" towards the engine block, the noise goes way. -I've replaced the PCV hose and it isn't where the noise is coming from.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Default Sorry!

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Check this thread if you have not already.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...what-do-33916/

Crap I've had too many beers and overlooked this. So I still need to inspect the camshaft actuator solenoid and tighten the intake manifold to 89lb"

After that it's compression test...

Old 11-15-2016, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by norinco3264
Is there a specific torque to tighten these bolts? Last week I began to hear a sucking air noise. When I push the intake "manifold" towards the engine block, the noise goes way. -I've replaced the PCV hose and it isn't where the noise is coming from.
When you say Intake manifold do you mean the air intake plenum from the air filter to the throttle body by chance? A compression test wont show valve to seat leakage. If your having misfires on a specific cylinder you need to do a cylinder leak down test

Old 11-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
When you say Intake manifold do you mean the air intake plenum from the air filter to the throttle body by chance? A compression test wont show valve to seat leakage. If your having misfires on a specific cylinder you need to do a cylinder leak down test
Yep, he is talking about the intake manifold. It is a common problem where the bolts vibrate loose, cause a leak and rough idle.

Intake Manifold Bolts: 10N.m or 89 lb in.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:45 AM

I was able to get the exhaust manifold heat shield somewhat off. The bolts that I could see and get to seemed fine but rusted so they weren't moving at all.

But I did replace the 5 ignition coils. The idling is smoother, but not 100%.

Tomorrow, since my tank is low, I will put chevron techron in the gas tank and then put premium gas in from Costco.

I'll post an update if there is any improvement from that.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:05 AM

TS , as Doc said check the intake manifold bolts, tighten them to 89lb.

The I5 will always have some shimmy. Just the nature of the I5.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
TS , as Doc said check the intake manifold bolts, tighten them to 89lb.

The I5 will always have some shimmy. Just the nature of the I5.
I'll check that out. I need to get a torque wrench and get the oxygen sensor removed.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TSLevin95
I was able to get the exhaust manifold heat shield somewhat off. The bolts that I could see and get to seemed fine but rusted so they weren't moving at all.

But I did replace the 5 ignition coils. The idling is smoother, but not 100%.

Tomorrow, since my tank is low, I will put chevron techron in the gas tank and then put premium gas in from Costco.

I'll post an update if there is any improvement from that.
You can skip the premium fuel, won't do anything.

You would be better off buying regular 87 but from a real gas station, like Marathon, Mobil, Amoco etc...

Old 11-16-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Yep, he is talking about the intake manifold. It is a common problem where the bolts vibrate loose, cause a leak and rough idle.

Intake Manifold Bolts: 10N.m or 89 lb in.
Seen that a few times but have seen intake air plenum not installed a lot more often, folded up at under side of throttle body so just was clarifying. Thanks Doc

Quick Reply: Rough Idle