PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote keyless entry question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Default Remote keyless entry question

Hihi All,

I have one question,
I just bought a 2008 Hummer H3.
I have standard remote keyless entry as on the instruction manual.
But here comes the issue:
Unlock doesn't work. Press it 1000 times, still nothing.
The lock however works, when I try to open the car with the key, the alarm starts loudly and it continues until I press the lock button.

Please help me, I am starting to panic here because i bought a junk car,
Anybody have same experience, I will try to change the battery, but still why the lock works then...
What you advice me to do?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:12 AM

you need to go to the dealer to reprogram your fob....
They might charge you $100

Old 01-15-2014, 03:44 AM

some charge from nothing to 25. some locksmiths can do it.
100 is way too much.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 AM

Does unlock work at the switch panel? If so, take your remote apart, clean the board contacts where the rubber buttons touch it. Also, clean the rubber buttons where they touch the board. (I use cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol, I've also heard of using a pencil eraser on the board contacts) Let completely dry before you put back together. You can also get a case and rubber pad replacement (reuse the board) on ebay, cheap..

Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 AM

oh,dead or alive?. autozone has a tester on the counter to see if it actually transmits.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
oh,dead or alive?. autozone has a tester on the counter to see if it actually transmits.
If it locks, its transmitting. I repaired 1 on my daughters '07 chevy, same thing, would not unlock(unlock is the most used button). Took it apart and the board was black, like melted rubber on it. Cleaned it and put it back together and it worked. After awhile it started working intermittantly, so I replaced the case and pad, and never had a problem since.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Does unlock work at the switch panel? If so, take your remote apart, clean the board contacts where the rubber buttons touch it. Also, clean the rubber buttons where they touch the board. (I use cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol, I've also heard of using a pencil eraser on the board contacts) Let completely dry before you put back together. You can also get a case and rubber pad replacement (reuse the board) on ebay, cheap..
hummerz,

Thank you will try it today.
Yep it is transmitting and it works perfect from the car door but not from the remote. Remote works - Lock but not unlock, so I think you are correct.

Will try it.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:23 PM

This site gives you an idea of the board contacts you will be cleaning(ignore the solder joints part):

Fix your board | Repair your chevrolet keyfob

I dont like the idea of trying to glue your pad, because new pads/cases are cheaper on ebay, than the glue cost..

New Replacement Remote Keyless Entry Key Fob Clicker Shell Case Housing Pad Fix | eBay

Clean it and get it working for now, in the meantime, get a new case & pad to make it work like new again..GL

Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
some charge from nothing to 25. some locksmiths can do it.
100 is way too much.

I was charged $187 plus tax by the dealer which I rejected. I saw an old friend who used to worked at GM he took the OBD2 machine home then reprogram mine for free.

If you doubt me you better try to ask the dealer close to you.

Locksmith don't have the machine!!!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
If it locks, its transmitting. I repaired 1 on my daughters '07 chevy, same thing, would not unlock(unlock is the most used button). Took it apart and the board was black, like melted rubber on it. Cleaned it and put it back together and it worked. After awhile it started working intermittantly, so I replaced the case and pad, and never had a problem since.
Hey Hummerz,

Could i ask you last question around this topic:

Is it possible the remote to be fully OK but the problem to be in other thing:
I have all together 3 "parts" on the key - key, remote, and something that looks like a human ring with battery on top.
Not sure what is this device, but I just recall how one of my friends was playing with me he give me the remote - and told me try to open the car, i can't be he can because of that device that have to be close to the door, I will try to change the battery tomorrow and test it do you think that sounds reasonable?

Quick Reply: Remote keyless entry question