Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Rear torsion bar "clips"

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 04:16 PM
Default Rear torsion bar "clips"

Hi all,
Was underneath my '07 looking at what I thought was a leak, but I noticed there are two round metal "clips" on the rear torsion bar, that are split and appear to have opened up. There also appears to be a pin that might go into the bar, at the spit. I am not sure what their function is, but I'm wondering if the condition mine are in is normal? I thought perhaps they were opening up for some reason. Mostly curious I guess.

Also, the leak I was chasing was dripping from what appeared to be the exhaust. Bright green like coolant. I caught one drip still on the exhaust pipe before the muffler, but it wasn't in a low spot like I would have thought it would be. My heart initially sank thinking it was coolant from my engine, but my engine has the orange dex-cool, and the level is full. I cannot think of anything else that would be bright green, so I'm convinced I ran over a mountain dew bottle!

The pictures show both the "leak" and the clip, but in the one picture you can see both the drip still on the exhaust, along with the other torsion bar "clip".

The evidence of the "leak"

More evidence further up the exhaust system

You can see the drip on the exhaust just before the muffler, but you can also see the yellow (brass?) "clip" on the torsion bar

Close-up of the "clip" on the torsion bar

Last edited by brothapig; 01-20-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:53 PM

Rear sway bar (aka: stabilizer bar, anti roll bar). The rings are to limit lateral travel on the sway bar.
There should not be any leak on your pipe, unless there is a hole in it. The muffler has a drain hole in it, to drain the moisture.
Put a pan under/on those spots, start vehicle cold, let idle for for a few minutes, then check what's inside.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:58 PM

the color of the fluid looks very close to AC leak detect fluid. are H3's equipped with rear AC?

Old 01-20-2020, 05:40 PM

No rear ac on mine at least. I've been parking on snow and paying attention to it, and have not seen any more evidence. If I didn't see that one drop on the pipe I would have been convinced it didn't come from my truck.
Thanks for the info on the sway bar. I was curious as to what those were. I don't think any more will come from this "leak", but I'll post an update if I find out where it came from.

Thanks again!

Old 01-20-2020, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by brothapig
No rear ac on mine at least. I've been parking on snow and paying attention to it, and have not seen any more evidence. If I didn't see that one drop on the pipe I would have been convinced it didn't come from my truck.
Thanks for the info on the sway bar. I was curious as to what those were. I don't think any more will come from this "leak", but I'll post an update if I find out where it came from.

Thanks again!
It's always better to be sure. If you are forewarned, you have advance knowledge.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
the color of the fluid looks very close to AC leak detect fluid. are H3's equipped with rear AC?
Rear a/c? lol. The color looks more like sulfur.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Rear sway bar (aka: stabilizer bar, anti roll bar). The rings are to limit lateral travel on the sway bar.
There should not be any leak on your pipe, unless there is a hole in it. The muffler has a drain hole in it, to drain the moisture.
Put a pan under/on those spots, start vehicle cold, let idle for for a few minutes, then check what's inside.
holy cow my sway bars don't have clips on em! If that's meant to limit the travel on the sway bars then that's prob why my trucks swaying out of control. Eureka! Thanks for the info

Old 01-21-2020, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Science lesson time. What happens to hot metal exhaust heat shields and pipes when sprayed with road salt?

First, there is nothing yellow to leak from an H3 unless you swapped out the Dexcool red stuff for Yellow antifreeze.

Answer: salt is sprayed on different metals (galvanized heat shield, mild to SS exhaust, steel clamps and hangers etc.... and the heat creates a chemical reaction to form yellow crystals (mostly zinc oxide) and those drip on the ground and snow leaving what appears to be a small yellow fluid leak/drip.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:33 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Answer: salt is sprayed on different metals (galvanized heat shield, mild to SS exhaust, steel clamps and hangers etc.... and the heat creates a chemical reaction to form yellow crystals (mostly zinc oxide) and those drip on the ground and snow leaving what appears to be a small yellow fluid leak/drip.
Thanks DOC, just another reason to avoid the "yellow snow".