Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Rear Brake Pad Cracked Off in Driveway

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 08:36 PM
Default Rear Brake Pad Cracked Off in Driveway

Wierd - 2009 Lux 95K backing the H3 out of driveway walking in found the inside rear brake pad cracked in half (cracked at center indent) and it was on the driveway! Pad still had probably 20% life left. This could of happened anywhere on road!! WTH!

It’s too cold to change at home so go to local shop they said that side caliper piston was somewhat frozen allowing the pad to vibrate and crack. Pad did have corrosion separating from backing plate. Ended up having them change both sides calipers and I got some Rabestos ceramic ERC pads from Rock.

Just strange lucky it happened at home - I would probably not have noticed much on rear until backing chewing my rotor or mess up the braking in snow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Old 12-12-2020, 05:55 PM

When was the last pad replacement? Time takes its toll on brake pads, especially in the salt belt, @ 20%, pad replacement was past due.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:07 PM

I would guess in the 4.5mm range. Was somewhat due but not down to wear indicators yet. Cracking pad is the issue. Not a common event 🤷🏻‍♂️

Old 12-12-2020, 09:12 PM

Missed it. When were those pads installed?

Old 12-13-2020, 06:36 AM

About 45,000 miles and about 6 years. Pads looked fine and shop said could have keep running fine based on other side. The bad side had the more wear due to the caliper piston issue, but not down to indicator yet. Just scary having a pad break in half and actually finding it - could happen anywhere —odds are worse than a lightning hit for the uncommon break to happen.....and then to actually find the pad. 🙃

Last edited by BlueH3; 12-13-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:11 PM

May have picked up someting on the road that hit the spot...

Good you found it in the driveway.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by BlueH3
About 45,000 miles and about 6 years. Pads looked fine and shop said could have keep running fine based on other side. The bad side had the more wear due to the caliper piston issue, but not down to indicator yet. Just scary having a pad break in half and actually finding it - could happen anywhere —odds are worse than a lightning hit for the uncommon break to happen.....and then to actually find the pad. 🙃
Pad separation is common for those that neglect their ride!
You stated the pads were @20% remaining, 45k miles and 6yrs on those pads, and a caliper that was seized. That's great you lived through it and able to share. Btw, did you ever notice something different while braking; noise/pedal height/stopping distance?
I've seen pad separation numerous times over the years, due to corrosion and overheating; neglect. Live and learn!

Last edited by hummerz; 12-13-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:16 AM

Not one bit of braking difference was noted.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlueH3
Not one bit of braking difference was noted.
Never a sound while braking? Interesting, yet now you notice the improved braking ability! Btw, you should have had 9x+ tire rotations in the last 45k miles, which also allows the inspection/drag on the brakes.
My H3 caught a seized rear caliper a few years back, with over 50% remaining on the pads, I noticed a brake fade!
TIME FOR CPR (C
alipers, Pads, & Rotors)
"Brake fade" is a condition where the brakes have become overheated, and they don't function normally as a result"

Old 12-14-2020, 08:31 PM

You bet! The overweight beast brakes like a champ now!😆 Huge difference in the city! Strange - nope, no noise, no pull, but it was rear.....and not in snow ❄️ yet,

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Pad Cracked Off in Driveway