Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Radio (replace or not)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 08:10 AM
wtl
Question Radio (replace or not)?

I have the Monsoon system in a 2006 I've just purchased, and I'm impressed with the sound. (Although I'm a musician, I'm not an audiophile, and it sounds really good compared to most stock systems I've had before.)

I've been wrestling with leaving the radio as is or replacing it. Honestly if I had a 3.5mm line in I'd probably leave it. I like the dark amber coloring of all the dash/radio lights at night and am not totally sure I want to stick a big LCD in there. Either way I go, I have some questions I'd like to ask of more experienced/longer term owners:

If I leave the radio

I absolutely would need a line in, and it seems like Schwarttzy is still selling his mod. I would combine it with something like
this this
for a flush mount to the center console. Two questions though:

1. I have OnStar but not sure about XM. Pressing the band button on the radio cycles between two FM and one AM group, nothing else. Would XM have to be enabled to show up or does this mean I don't have it? Seems like XM is required for the mod.

2. If I were to be able to use Schwarttzy's mod, is there anywhere in the center console or on the stock radio to power the USB port on the flush mount? If not I'd probably just look for a flush mount option without the USB. Just figure I could charge my phone with the same flush mount if I could power the USB side of it.

If I replace the radio

I'd probably go with the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX and pair it with a similar flush mount as above with USB and HDMI (like
this this
). My questions about this setup are:

1. Crutchfield lists two different install kits for the H3. I don't have any steering wheel controls, so the only difference is OnStar and the "connection for DVD and GPS". The description for this includes the parking brake connection. I assume that this may have something to do with the requirement to have the parking brake engaged to play a DVD. I don't really care about having a DVD player up front, but I'm also looking at headrest DVD players for the kids in the back seat. I'm wondering if I can power head rest monitors without DVD players from the head unit (giving up the ability for the kids to watch independently), and if so how does the parking brake connection play into that? I guess if the cheaper kit doesn't have a parking brake connection, does that mean the restriction won't be there?

2. Is the included (with the W4400NEX) hands free microphone good? I'd like to be able to make/take hands free calls but I'd like them to be clear and free of background noise. Is the included mic good or do better third party options exist? Schwarttzy seems to have an OnStar mic mod of some kind. Is the OnStar mic any good for this purpose, or is that for using the included mic in the OnStar port on the roof? I assume if I tried to use the OnStar mic, I'd probably need the more expensive install kit with OnStar support?

TIA for any advice!

Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

The band selection you describe is because 1) you are not subscribed to satellite radio service and/or your XM module is not plugged in; and, 2) you do not have an MP3 input adapter installed, so your head unit only recognized AM/FM bands.

There are many brands for an MP3 line in type adapter available. There are millions of USB plug power outlet plug ins out there or you can grab power from one of the outlet harnesses.

IMHO.... OnStar is BS Garbage because everybody has a phone. I drove for decades before cell phones, I can drive w/o Ostar.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:49 AM

replace 110% i did and love it . 8"alpine type r fits in the stock location with a tiny bit of cutting and sounds great. 6 3/4 components up front and 6 3/4 3 way rockfords in back doors

Old 04-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Suggestion; Check ALL your speakers, first.Make sure they all work, and sound correct. Don't forget the tweeters.
Just changing the speakers, with my Monsoon system, made a world of difference.
Of course, the driver's door speaker was blown, but the sound from the other speakers is better than stock.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Plenty of radios these days have adjustable illumination so you can still match the factory coloring. The used very low tech audio in a rather expensive(then) vehicle for some reason. Easiest way is to replace the head unit with something more modern with some useful inputs. The mics that come with most mid to high end head units are very good. Headrest dvd units are typically wired separately, however they are really part of the dinosaur age these days. Throwing an ipad back there is alot more useful and not simply a single fixed use device.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 PM

2012 Kenwood with bluetooth, iPod input, and back-up camera. Go for it!

Old 04-25-2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by wtl
I have the Monsoon system in a 2006 I've just purchased, and I'm impressed with the sound. (Although I'm a musician, I'm not an audiophile, and it sounds really good compared to most stock systems I've had before.)

I've been wrestling with leaving the radio as is or replacing it. Honestly if I had a 3.5mm line in I'd probably leave it. I like the dark amber coloring of all the dash/radio lights at night and am not totally sure I want to stick a big LCD in there. Either way I go, I have some questions I'd like to ask of more experienced/longer term owners:

If I leave the radio

I absolutely would need a line in, and it seems like Schwarttzy is still selling his mod. I would combine it with something like this for a flush mount to the center console. Two questions though:

1. I have OnStar but not sure about XM. Pressing the band button on the radio cycles between two FM and one AM group, nothing else. Would XM have to be enabled to show up or does this mean I don't have it? Seems like XM is required for the mod.

2. If I were to be able to use Schwarttzy's mod, is there anywhere in the center console or on the stock radio to power the USB port on the flush mount? If not I'd probably just look for a flush mount option without the USB. Just figure I could charge my phone with the same flush mount if I could power the USB side of it.

If I replace the radio

I'd probably go with the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX and pair it with a similar flush mount as above with USB and HDMI (like this). My questions about this setup are:

1. Crutchfield lists two different install kits for the H3. I don't have any steering wheel controls, so the only difference is OnStar and the "connection for DVD and GPS". The description for this includes the parking brake connection. I assume that this may have something to do with the requirement to have the parking brake engaged to play a DVD. I don't really care about having a DVD player up front, but I'm also looking at headrest DVD players for the kids in the back seat. I'm wondering if I can power head rest monitors without DVD players from the head unit (giving up the ability for the kids to watch independently), and if so how does the parking brake connection play into that? I guess if the cheaper kit doesn't have a parking brake connection, does that mean the restriction won't be there?

2. Is the included (with the W4400NEX) hands free microphone good? I'd like to be able to make/take hands free calls but I'd like them to be clear and free of background noise. Is the included mic good or do better third party options exist? Schwarttzy seems to have an OnStar mic mod of some kind. Is the OnStar mic any good for this purpose, or is that for using the included mic in the OnStar port on the roof? I assume if I tried to use the OnStar mic, I'd probably need the more expensive install kit with OnStar support?

TIA for any advice!
I just put the Pioneer 4400NEX in another car of mine.

Mic is fine, it just needs to be mounted closer to the rearview mirror to ensure your voice is picked up.

I also got xm as well.

It is a good buy, especially with being able to have a detachable face.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by dwaller67

2012 Kenwood with bluetooth, iPod input, and back-up camera. Go for it!
I am the original owner of my 2010 Hummer H3 Alpha.

Still running the Nav unit that came with it (also has the monsoon system).

I have XM, H3 has its own phone number, etc.

I desperately want to get a CarPlay unit into the H3, but do not want to lose the current functions.

Spoke with the folks over at Crutchfield and learned that the H3 is a 1.5 Din (as opposed to the standard 1 or 2) and requires cutting into the dash back.

Anyone know what can be done?

Old 04-26-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by H32006

Spoke with the folks over at Crutchfield and learned that the H3 is a 1.5 Din (as opposed to the standard 1 or 2) and requires cutting into the dash back.

Not true, your Crutchfield rep is clueless. I’ve installed several double DIN head units in my H3’s as have many others here.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by H32006

CRUTCHFIELD REP WAS WRONG, ALL H3/H3Ts are Double Din size units.

Quick Reply: Radio (replace or not)?