PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for H3 purchase and maintenance, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Default Questions for H3 purchase and maintenance, need help!

I am a new driver I don't have much knowledge on maintenance.

I like H3. And I am looking at this 2007 H3 with leather, sunroof, mileage less than 50000. Can you give me some advice for it?

And if I purchase a pre-owned H3, what should I do for maintenance? The only thing I know for vehicle maintenance is changing engine oil... Especially, regarding Hummer is discontinued, is there any issue to maintain a H3?

I know have a lot of things to learn... Really hope you can give me some advice!

Thanks a lot!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 AM

That is a very early 07 like mine. You can tell because the window switches are still down on the flat part of the front arm rests. On later 07s they moved them up to the angled part at the front. Nothing wrong with that, just a little FYI.

The first thing I would do if I were you is push the little blue button on the mirror and sign up for the three months of free OnStar. With that you will get monthly e-mails that show all monitored systems and their condition. The OnStar report is really the only way to see your remaining oil life percentage. At least it is the only way I know. They will also give you free 60 phone minutes when you call and they will offer you an additional 300 minutes for $9.99. Take it! The OnStar minutes are very expensive after that. Even if you cancel the service after the three months it is worth it just to get those benefits for your first few months of ownership. The OnStar report will also show you any remaining warranties on the vehicle and open recalls. I had the remaining 100k mile warranty on mine that I didn't know when I bought it.

When I bought mine it still had 42% of oil life left according to the OnStar report but I went ahead and took it in and had an oil change and service and had them look it over for any obvious problems. Obviously things can go wrong at any time but I like starting from a clean slate. While at the dealership, I had them print me out a service record for the life of the truck. They can't show things like oil changes and stuff but they can show you any non-maintenance work that was done on the truck. I also got them to print me out a build sheet so I could see what options the truck came with originally. I found out that someone had put bigger tires on mine than stock and also that they took off the factory side steps.

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM

If the seller has not documented fluid changes, then I would change oil, air filter, transmission fluid, front/rear diff fluid. Those are all relatively cheap actions and then you will at least know the state of the lubricants that protect some very expensive parts. You should have 50K miles of powertrain warranty remaining, but the 50K bumper to bumper warranty is gone or very nearly gone.

BTW, you can read the Oil Life with a ScanGuage II as well as getting a lot of useful mileage computer functions & reading any trouble codes that may come up. I wouldn't be without mine.

If you do decide to keep the OnStar be sure to search this forum for advice on how to get a decent rate.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks for your great suggestions. How about the repair and parts? Will it be difficult to buy parts when needed?

Old 03-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Some issue with parts but it will get better once GM let's anyone provide them. Being on a forum gives you access to information on where to find things. I have been able ti find everything I need, if yiy can still find repro parts for 57 Chevys you will be able to find Hummer parts.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 AM

Was the 100k powertrain warranty a standard for 07's?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 AM

It's 5yrs/100,000miles...from the date of purchase. And yes, it's standard with the 07+ models

Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 PM

And I take it that Chevy will carry out the rest of the warranty work?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:59 PM

On my 07 H3, the bumper to bumper warranty was 80k. I didn't know that until I got the first OnStar report.

Not all Chevrolet dealers will do warranty work. We have two Chevy dealers near to me. One is in Bakersfield and is a very large dealer. The other is in a small town nearby. I went to the small dealer with the Hummer because they are usually faster when I take the wife's HHR in to them. The service manager there told me to take the H3 to the Chevy dealer in Bakersfield because they could no longer do warranty work on them.

Quick Reply: Questions for H3 purchase and maintenance, need help!