Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Powered Side Steps

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Default RE: Powered Side Steps

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Honestly..Next, they'll be coming out with one of these for the front seat...

uh, sorry to disappoint, but GM already installed an easy exit seat option on our H2s. i don't like it, but i'm sure some find it handy.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:55 AM

Not surprised..these dang Hummers do about everything cept wipe your butt for you...Or is that an option too?

Old 05-23-2006, 01:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Not surprised..these dang Hummers do about everything cept wipe your butt for you...Or is that an option too?

that's only with the lux package . . .[:'(]

Old 05-23-2006, 01:04 AM

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 AM

the rest of us have to slide out for that feature to work . . . .

Old 05-23-2006, 01:19 AM

On leather seats too?..man, won't that leave skid marks?

Old 05-23-2006, 01:23 AM

i have an 8 month old. i have waterproof seat covers front and back . . . .[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 05-23-2006, 02:14 AM

is there any way to post a video or audio file on the forum? or somewhere to upload one to link to?

i used my trusty cell phone to capture the call of the sasquatch, and its really quite obnoxious, so i thought i'd share. it comes to my email in some crazy .3g2 format that quick time will play.

i should correct an earlier comment about cheap flimsy plastic, the bracket that holds it up is cheap flimsy plastic, the steps are metal. I guess i can see how this particular product adds something to the vehicle, its a nice touch, but for 2 grand installed that insane growl when operating is not really sensible, and thats that.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:24 AM

i have zero issue with anything anybody wants to do to their truck, there are so many cool things out there, so many cool trucks, and to each his/her own. Etc., i'm the last guy on the planet who will ever complain about an H2 not being offroaded. But for those interested in the off-road function, my understanding is that the things that hold the NERF bars - those black bars bolted to the frame of the truck - have a function. They protect the body during extreme situations where something might try to hit the underside of the truck over there. They can support the truck if need be, preventing body damage.

These powered steps will cleave completely off (that's my estimate only, based on taking a look at how they are mounted, basically 4 bolts per side, the unit is supported by a plastic housing) if they get hit with any force, and you can easily push the entire structure up and down a couple of inches with your hand, so they won't protect the body at all should things get hairy.

They are tucked up and under the frame for the most part when retracted, so it would take a bit of an unusual situation to rip them off, but as shortbus mentioend above, they'll go down for the count very quickly. Also, i think that they won't lend themselves to being removed as easily as the dealer implied, as the bolts are buried under/behind the frame of the thing, and it looks like a pain to get at.

I think for anybody with offroading intentions the best choices are either nothing, or the one-bolt removable factory step option. those look pretty good.

i will say that i like the look of the truck alot better without both my roof bars (which i took off the other day) and the NERF chrome tubular steps. it looks both higher and lower, sor tof more "squat", and removing the roof bars made it noticeably quieter to drive at high speeds or on the highway into the wind, etc.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:35 AM

you're right about the black bars bolted to the frame, they're "rock sliders", although they're not as beefy as some aftermarkets. they have saved the sheet metal on the bus though, so i'm glad i have them. that's what the stock step rails bolt to, but not sure about the retractable ones, you mention they bolt back further on the frame. still, if you don't offroad every day, it shouldn't take much time to take them off. you just want to make sure whatever electrical connections they have are sealed pretty well against getting filled with mud, and don't hang down to where they'll get ripped off. the steps come in handy, especially when loading a car seat with the young'un, but after busting my shin a few times, it wasn't worth putting them back on.

not that you have the rails off, you have room for a roof rack. . . .

Quick Reply: Powered Side Steps