Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

P0442

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Default P0442

I have gotten the Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak) PO442 code a few times so I changed the fuel cap thinking the seal was bad. Now two weeks after getting the new fuel cap I get the code again. When I went to check the new fuel cap it basically just pulled right off without having to unscrew it. Now I know that when I put fuel in yesterday I made the darn thing click 2 or 3 times to make sure it was on there and sealed. Is there some kind of voodoo chant rain dance animal sacrifice that one has to do to make sure fuel caps go on properly? I saw a TSB for 2006 h3 where "The seal between the filler housing and the fuel filler tube may be restricting the fuel cap from sealing correctly." Has anyone with a 2008 or newer h3 had any issues with the cap, and does anyone know how much it costs to get the system checked for leaks?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Your code can come from an Evap hose getting loose or possibly rubbing on something causing a hole.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, it is purely emission related so you can take your time on having it looked at. First do some searching and check out as much of it on your own as you can.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:27 PM

Old thread I know - Problem is, I'm chasing this myself now on a new to me 07. Cap tested fine at the smog shop but the damn code comes back after I clear it and I'm thinking of smoke testing it now.

Anyone have any luck chasing these leaks down?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 PM

Tests/Procedures:
1. Check the gas cap seal.

2. Check the filler neck for damage or corrosion.

3. Check for dirt in the vent solenoid line and charcoal canister.

4. Confirm the vehicle owner does not turn the engine off by turning the ignition switch to Accessory, without going to the off position.

Turning the engine off by turning the ignition switch to Accessory without going to the off position, can falsely set code P0442.

Replace the canister vent valve

Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Fast reply - You kick but man!

Canister vent valve eh? Not the tank solenoid? Shutting down the ign. and going straight to acc really creates a false code?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ACannell
Fast reply - You kick but man!

Canister vent valve eh? Not the tank solenoid? Shutting down the ign. and going straight to acc really creates a false code?

With the fuel cap off, Yes.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:01 PM

sorry if I'm daft but why would the cap be off? I don't get it? I know the cap tests good and is tight. I understand the solenoid maybe being bad but the acc. thing seems odd.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM

sorry if I'm daft but why would the cap be off? I don't get it? I know the cap tests good and is tight. I understand the solenoid maybe being bad but the acc. thing seems odd.
ONLY, If you refill with the ignition in the on or accessory position, it will give you a false code. Pull the ignition key when you refill, I have to do that as I have a locking gas cap. If you get the code without refilling, there is a good chance the vent valve is the problem. GL

Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 PM

Recently I got the same code several times and took it to my Dealer (under warranty). They replaced the gas cap, still had the code. Then they replaced the canister and solenoid, still had the code. They said they would try the fuel tank next.

I did a continuity test and found a corroded conector and wire on the solenoid(sensor). I spliced the wires and replaced the connector and NO MORE CODE. Should have charged the dealer for my time.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Old thread I know - Problem is, I'm chasing this myself now on a new to me 07. Cap tested fine at the smog shop but the damn code comes back after I clear it and I'm thinking of smoke testing it now.

Anyone have any luck chasing these leaks down?
Now that you dig up this 3 year old thread, first thing to do is wipe off the Gas Cap rubber seal and the fuel fill hole.

Quick Reply: P0442