PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of ideas help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Default Out of ideas help!

So for about a week now I've been chasing a click/poping in the front drive line, it appears to be located outside the front dif but I guess you never know. These are the symptoms while driving from a start you will here clicking similar to that of a cv axle but wheels are straight or turned it really doesn't mater so I replaced both axels and no change olny seems to happen when power is delivered to the front wheels but doesn't happen every time. I can also dead lock wheels right or left in a parking lot and not a sound im lost...

Old 10-19-2013, 09:19 AM

Is it possibility the front ujoint maybe?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 AM

First and least expensive in terms of repair cost would be both front and rear DS U-joint replacements. Next I'd look at the front hubs.
Also, I'd first check the backing plates for the brakes and make sure no stones or crap getting caught up...this one is free...well save for the time needed to check.

But then again if you already did the axles you probably checked.

Chris

Old 10-19-2013, 10:52 AM

I just checked the price on hubs and my god ! My dealer price was $285 I really hope thats not it! I really am beginning to reget this purchase .... I miss my jeep lol.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 PM

Yea the Hummer tax! hahaha!

Chris

Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Well if you are checking "dealer pricing" for replacement parts then ...... never mind.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Lots of places sell Hummer parts at less than dealer prices including some forum sponsors. Call around, you will do better on pricing.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Ok so I believe I have forund the problem / noise . When I first purchased the hummer I had to replace the passenger side axel seal old owner apparently didn't care it had a leak and went on for some time, upon me changing it I had to add almost a qt of fluid. The main carrier was getting oil but I do not believe the bearing at the end of the axels where receiving any lube and killed them, soooo this is the problem , when punishing up and down or side to side I have almost a 1/2 inch thats the clicking popping noise I was hearing. Just in case anyone has this noise they can find I hope they find this post and check it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 PM

Thanx for the heads up.

Chris

Old 10-25-2013, 12:57 PM

So both of your bearings are shot? That sucks.

A reputable ring and pinion shop should be able to rebuild it for you. You could do it yourself with the shop manual if you have the time, proper tools and knowledge. I wonder what else inside the diff was starved for lube? Pinion bearing, etc.

Quick Reply: Out of ideas help!