PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion Goodyear or Firestone

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Default Opinion Goodyear or Firestone

I'm thinking of changing tires on my H3, my stock ones are the 285's I want to go to 315's but not sure which to get. I was looking at the Goodyear wrangler duratrac or the Firestone destination M/T. I do go off-road once in a while but most of my driving is on the highway. Thanks Mark.....

Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't go with either.

Look at Mickey Thompson MTZs, and if they are too agressive for your tastes, go the the ATZ with sidebiters. If you are only off road once in a while, you may more seriously think about 305s instead of 315s, an inch wider than the 285s, but still retain your final drive ratio for mileage and acceleration. Micky Thompson = Made in the USA! Nope, I'm not talking about foreign crap made in a factory here that the tax payers all subsidized, but a real live made in the USA product.

Coopers are sweet as well.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 PM

I just got goodyear duratracks 315/75/16 last week and got the torsions bars cranked a little. These are the most awesome looking and driving tires I have ever had, I look at every tire out there before I bought, You cant go wrong with these tires, they are great in the rain, which is something the firestones will suck at, (they dont have any sipes) I will post some pic tommorow so you can see what I am talking about

Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 AM

It depends on the climate in your area. If you get any kind of snow and ice, then you'll want to stay away from the Firestones and go with the Duratracs.

I was torn for a while between 3 different tires and finally decided on the Duratracs, because of the winters we get here. The Duratracs have great ratings for snow and ice handling and are an AT instead of an MT, so they handle great on the road and are quiet as well.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:49 PM

I went with the Cooper 315's also made in USA. 60K tires and really look great... They were also cheaper than the duratrac. One of the guys that worked in the tire shop I went to in Texarkana had a set on his Truck and had already put 40k on his and They still looked awesome. I could tell they had been on the road but looked to still have 3/4 life in them...
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...&nichtweiter=1

Old 06-09-2010, 01:43 PM

Quietest ride I've ever had have been on goodyear tires. Those coopers look nice.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the input. Now I'm really undecided! The Mickey Thompsons MTZ look really nice but not sure how they wear. My stock 285 Duelers are wearing like iron with over 52k on them. I just want to go bigger.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:05 PM

Get a set of Duratracs and you wont regret it! Quiet, smooth hi-way ride, Superior in snow, decent in the rain(they are siped) and look great!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Between your two choices, I would go with the Duratrac. The Firestone does a decent job on dry and wet roads, but I've heard horror stories on ice. I also like the Mastercraft Courser C/T's. That's a great all around tire as well that does fantastic on the highway. Offroad, all I've ever had them on is mud, but they did a very good job.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:58 PM

I'm running 285 Duratracs and love 'em. They're good on and off-road, in rain, snow, and are still quiet on the highway. Their price premium is a small price to pay for on-road safety if you live in a more Northern climate.

After owning them for 15k miles, I'm actually affraid to buy anything else now.

Quick Reply: Opinion Goodyear or Firestone