PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer Fraud possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Default Odometer Fraud possible?

Hello, I have a question. I am looking at buying an 07 H3 from a private buyer, the price is right for me. It has 7k miles on it but the tires look as if they have alot of wear on them. More wear than 7,000 miles of hard driving would do. The seller says they are the original tires. I am worried that there is more miles on the truck than the ODO says. Is there any way the seller could have disconnected the speedometer, or the gear in the tranny to keep the miles off of it? And is there a way I could tell this was done? I know some vehicles also have a computer in the engine bay that keeps track of miles as well. Let me know because the truck is super clean and at that price, it wont last, But I also dont want to get stuck with a truck that has odo fraud.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Default RE: Odometer Fraud possible?

Factory tires will either be Goodyear Wranglers, which arenot that great of a tire, or if the vehicle is an adventure series or has the off-road package the tires will be Bridgestones, which wear extremely good.
As for the odometer, it is nothing but a display for the body computer. The body computer module (BCM) keeps the mileage and uses the odo to display the mileage. In addition, on the H3, you can't just swap BCMs, once programmed to a vehicle, they can only be reset by the BCM manufacturer.
There is a way to insert an electronic device in the vehicle speed sensor wire that cuts the signal to the PCM so when the PCM sends the info to the BCM via the serial data link, it will not record actual miles.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Off roading takes a huge toll on tires as well. At work, we go through Goodyear MT's in 15k miles

Old 10-07-2007, 09:58 AM

Could it have been a tow vehicle behind an RV? I'm nto exactly sure but I think when the t-case is in neutral, it doesnt log miles.

Or maybe they had separate rims, then decided to sell it and bought a set of wheels/tires off ebay?

Do they have onstar? Onstar can pull a vehicle mileage report and tell you the miles that were on the truck each timethey did the monthly vehicle diagnostics.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:46 PM

well,the cluster could have been replaced,i think they have to be programmed,but i could be wrong,i have had to replace both of them in my silverado and trailblazer,and i had to sign a document saying how many miles to put on the new cluster

Old 10-07-2007, 05:01 PM

Does the original owner have maintenance records? Oil changes should indicate something, dig through them to see if they is anything he missed. Maybe he didn't clean out the glove box to hide true mileage or check with the dealer to see if they have records of oil changes for that vehicle.

I've got 13K on my stock tires and they are wearing very little. They've been off road some, I don't think 7K should show much wear unless something is wrong with the front end or he's shoveling you a line.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:34 PM

Well if you are worried about OD fraud, this used hummer probably doesn't qualify, unless they were dyslexic and ran the odometer forwards.

Used Hummer
I would say that if this one had the head issue, the owner(s?) blew right through it.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Ghostrider

Do they have onstar? Onstar can pull a vehicle mileage report and tell you the miles that were on the truck each timethey did the monthly vehicle diagnostics.
I think this is a very good job!!