PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure if Traction Controll is working??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Not sure if Traction Controll is working??

ORIGINAL: Steve #1

ORIGINAL: General

Please help a nonamerican... WTF is BTM ?
Brake/Throtal Maniulation - basicly manual traction control. You use presure on the brake to stop wheels with less traction to get the other ones going.

Doc.... you have confused your hummer[space/no space]guys.
Steve: Yes I did! [&o] Sorry H G and HG. Myobservation does still apply (if I was talking to HG, not H G ???), the 2006 manual does not have StabiliTrack, but does have TC.

Apparently, not only do I suffer from CRS, I also suffer from CRWITT...Can't Remember Who I'm Talking Too. Eventually.......I will find where I did read
the "do not BTM an H3", not to say that I agree with the sources of where I read it, but I definitely saw it in print twice.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Remember though what some of the mechanics said last year that the Traction Control Off message is wrong when you go 4-low locked. I get the message all the time when I go there but since I have stick maybe it is turning it off for the manual's. We will probably never know.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

Traction control is an exceptionally lame way to do what HUMMER should have done in the first place and that is to install a locker in front. T/C is absolutely NO replacement for a locking diff! Good news is that they have wised up and are installing them in the 09's but pre-09 H3's are left out in the cold. Here's my beef with Traction Control for those who may not know how it works.
You know my position on this

T/C works by sensing wheel slip in off road and slippery driving conditions. Example: If you're driving in the mud and the left front wheel starts spinning, T/C will apply brake to that wheel so the open differential will send power to the right front wheel because it has more traction.(In theory of course) This action will go on as long as the situation exists or the T/C burns up, whichever comes first. Now here's the beef. The very last thing you want in a deep mud hole is some stupid electronic device mashing the brake to one wheel when you need that wheel to be doing its job!
There's not much to the system to "burn up" brake pads and ABS modules maybe. Traction control can also reduce engine power if it thinks it is needed.
Cue the lockers! A Locker, either Eaton, Detroit, ARB or ANY locker or limited slip diff is better than T/C. A locker doesn't need to sense squat and it doesn't need some cue from a CPU somewhere when to work. You push a button, throw a switch or activate it any number of ways depending on type and your two sides are locked up tight. Four wheel drive as God has intended it, all four corners doing their job without the aid of computers.

"That's all I have to say 'bout that"
What is better depends on the situation. Fullmechanical lockerson a street driven vehicle can come in handy occasionally.... the rest of the time they are a nightmare. Theyeat up tires and can be noisy on corners or when coming in or out of the throttle, wet roads can put you in the ditch with no notice, you can only use them on rear axles, and your turning radius will suffer.

Limited Slip AKA Posi-Taction is a good compromise, not as strong, not 50%power to each wheel, but they also handle better and don't eat up tires like a locker.

Lockers and limited slips both "sense" different types of driveline forces of one or two different types.

Electronic traction control shines on pavement. Instead of sending you in to the ditch, it will keep you out of the ditch. Its downside is that sometimes it thinks it knows better when you're trying to have fun.

That CPU is monitoring many more points, and for over 95% of the driving I do, it's the way to go.

Selectable lockers are great, all the benefits of a locker and none of the negatives. Cross one with electronic traction control, and what could be better?..... right two... and that is the next step.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:33 AM

Gotta cede that to you Steve. Selectable lockers, ie...ARB or Eaton E-lockers are far superior to a detroit on the daily drive. I like the old Land Rover idea, manual cable locked diffs. Now there's an idea in simplicity, pull a lever, lock your diff. There's beauty in simplicity.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:54 PM

Again RealJeep I agree, what happened to good old lever 4WD and cable activated lockers?

Old 05-11-2008, 02:57 AM

http://www.ox-usa.com/ox/Default.aspx

Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 AM

Just for the record. My 2007 H3 DIC says "STAB SYS OFF" when I go 4L. I think earlier models had an erroneous DIC display. I can also turn it off at the switch by holding the button down for 6 seconds, which gives me the same DIC display ad nauseum. Neither affects "Traction Control", that's a different bunch of electrons going through a different chip.