Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Is this a normal start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 04:17 PM
Default Is this a normal start?

2007 i5 h3 startup youtube video

Last edited by Eurynomestolas; 06-12-2023 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:07 AM

Hi Eury...

The sound in the video is pretty faint, hard to diagnose, do I hear the motor pulsing? More details would help.
With that said my 2007 i5 sometimes sounds rough on startup, there were a dozen things to go through to quiet it down.
... clean the MAF, throttle body, change plugs, replace cracked PVC hose, new belt tensioner, tighten a loose heatshield, etc.
the devil is in the details and each has a few specific sounds and signs to give a hint what may be the cause. Codes help too.

And while after doing all the above it runs better, but somedays is still noisy on startup

Old 06-13-2023, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by smtichy
Hi Eury...

The sound in the video is pretty faint, hard to diagnose, do I hear the motor pulsing? More details would help.
With that said my 2007 i5 sometimes sounds rough on startup, there were a dozen things to go through to quiet it down.
... clean the MAF, throttle body, change plugs, replace cracked PVC hose, new belt tensioner, tighten a loose heatshield, etc.
the devil is in the details and each has a few specific sounds and signs to give a hint what may be the cause. Codes help too.

And while after doing all the above it runs better, but somedays is still noisy on startup
yes sounds like a pulse. I just wanted to compare. when you start your h3 up does rpm do the same thing? I have no check engine lights and have taken care of the above. actually just replaced the maf with acdelco just to make sure. something weird is going on on start up

Last edited by Eurynomestolas; 06-13-2023 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2023, 04:53 PM

My 2010 does not sound like that.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eurynomestolas
yes sounds like a pulse. I just wanted to compare. when you start your h3 up does rpm do the same thing? I have no check engine lights and have taken care of the above. actually just replaced the maf with acdelco just to make sure. something weird is going on on start up
ENGINE SURGE, NOT NORMAL, Air / Fuel Management issue!
Easy DIY to correct, first start by disconnecting CAI @ TB and recheck.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
ENGINE SURGE, NOT NORMAL, Air / Fuel Management issue!
Easy DIY to correct, first start by disconnecting CAI @ TB and recheck.
could it be a bad throttle body?

Old 06-13-2023, 06:17 PM

could it be a bad throttle body?
? start by removing CAI to TB and recheck. Any difference?

Old 06-14-2023, 05:49 AM

No my RPM is steady, it may idle a little rough, but no fluctuations. If cold of course it idles faster and gradually slows down.
Check all your sensors, connections, etc.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:19 AM

will have to check at a later date. She wont start now. guessing starter 😵‍💫 alternator was just replaced battery has charge. Ihear ticking but not cranking.

Old 06-17-2023, 01:34 PM

i checked this and still no change it is only on the start for the first day or if it sits for awhile.

Quick Reply: Is this a normal start?