Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

New owner with tech question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Default New owner with tech question

New member here. I just acquired a 2006 H3 with just over 80k original miles. I wasn't actively looking for one, but came across a deal to good to pass up. The truck is in great shape with only a leaking radiator (typical I understand) which I am replacing today, and the original battery terminals which I have already replaced. The truck has a VIN number of 181xxx which from what I have learned from this forum is in the range of those with the cylinder head issues involving valve seat integrity. It runs well and has no codes currently. I am looking for advice on anything I could do to evaluate the engine further such as a leak down test, or should I just not worry about it and enjoy it. Great resource here at HF. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Fred

Old 11-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

I would drive it and enjoy it. If it starts acting up, then look into it. Most of the trucks that had the defective valve seats in the head probably have either been repaired, or will not have the problem if it has not already surfaced. Run a car fax or have a dealership run a history on it to see if the head was already replaced.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:46 AM

Welcome to HF. Congratulations on your H3.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:18 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by fjcaldwell
New member here. I just acquired a 2006 H3 with just over 80k original miles. I wasn't actively looking for one, but came across a deal to good to pass up. The truck is in great shape with only a leaking radiator (typical I understand) which I am replacing today, and the original battery terminals which I have already replaced. The truck has a VIN number of 181xxx which from what I have learned from this forum is in the range of those with the cylinder head issues involving valve seat integrity. It runs well and has no codes currently. I am looking for advice on anything I could do to evaluate the engine further such as a leak down test, or should I just not worry about it and enjoy it. Great resource here at HF. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Fred
I like your marker lights/light bar setup.

Last edited by Broken Halo; 11-28-2018 at 07:33 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 11-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Cool

Love the light bar. Any info on where to get it?

Old 11-29-2018, 08:37 PM

Thanks Broken Halo. I like yours too! Really puts out some good light. Also like your Alpha. I have always been a fan of white. Nice truck!

Choochmalooch; I am not sure these are available anymore. It was on the truck when I got it.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:33 AM

Yeah, I did a lot of internet searching and came up blank. I figured as much.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:38 AM

Mine is a 'Plus 1' light bar. I purchased it 8 years ago from Hummer Parts Club, but they've been discontinued. It was actually for a H2 so I had to cut 7" from each end of the bar, and had our machine shop mill 5 degree angles from the bottoms of the side mounting brackets to sit square to the roof. Worked out perfectly! Got a good deal on it as well.

Last edited by Broken Halo; 12-03-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 AM

Forgot to mention.....the O.P.'s light bar is also a 'Plus 1', but had newer designed side brackets (I believe these have also been discontinued). The 'older' design I have actually worked out better for me to be able to position the bar closer to my running lights.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 AM

Found this: Plus 1 Accessories introduces their Low Profile Light Bar for the Jeep Wrangler TJ - Product SpotLight - Truck Trend
Sure you could make it work.
Sorry, that was an old article. Seems that everybody has made the switch to LED bars.

Last edited by Broken Halo; 12-03-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: New owner with tech question