Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

New member, my little H3 project "Zombie Friendly"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Default New member, my little H3 project "Zombie Friendly"

New to the forum but I have been reading and searching for about a week (since the day I got my H3). I didn't plan on doing anything to it, until I saw pics and read lots on this forum!

I blame the show "The Walking Dead" for my mini-project "Zombie Friendly" since the Hummer is no doubt a first choice for many!

Current= White '06 I5 base H3, bought from dealer as 1 owner, mint, new general grabber 265's with 52k.

Use: Daily driver in bad weather, and primary in winter conditions, also light to medium off-roading here in New England

Tomorrow it begins:
Part 1;
Smoke LED tail lights installed
Awaiting delivery of clear LED front market lights & clear side markers, also OEM Hummer all weather floor mats
5900k headlights and fog lights (crisp white, not blue)
Weather tech dark smoke rain guards
Pioneer touchscreen Double Din DVD, iPod, Navigation system
Alpine Type R full speaker set to replace all OEM sound system (not monsoon) and also an Alpine min-amp to help keep up with equipment
Custom hard-wired K40 radar

Part 2;
5 Duratrack 305/70/16's
Blackout OEM 16' rims
Flat black OEM style brush guard (open to suggestions on other styles)
Re-paint chrome grill in white to match
Crank up front 2.5" and rear 2" shackles in rear
Bilstein shocks to maintain ride with height
Replace OEM chrome nerf bars with black (prefer flat style, although not sure if I will just get rockers but the GF will like having something there!)

Part 3:
Not sure yet, "Hybrid" sticker for rear window? lol
Considering Roof racks or safari cargo style
Considering Winch but not sure if I will get serious enough off-road

Comments & suggestions welcome! (just remember I'm new so bear with me!) Will put up pics of truck as is tomorrow

Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 PM

I just put on a Predator Search & Rescue on my H3 last week and on Sunday I smoked a buck going 65mph on the interstate. I highly recommend the S&R. I believe if I didn’t have that on my 3 it could have totaled it. The brush guard did get my hood and chrome grille so they will be replaced this week but I can’t imagine what the damage would have been without it. I don’t think the OEM brush guard would have held up to a hit like that.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 AM
rsc

about a month back I "tested" the stock brush guard. I rear-ended another car that decided to just park in the middle of the road. I got it slowed down to about 5-10 mph when I hit them. Only damage was to the driving lights mounted to the bumper and the mount for the driving lights pushed a fist sized dent into the bumper where one of them hit his bumper (3/16" steel mounting brackets). No other damage, brush guard didn't hit the grill or get mangled up so I was very impressed with how the Hummer held up to his rear bumper/plastic. An off-center hit would have been another story, but straight on the stock stuff was plenty stout.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Default Brush guard

Looks like I have some homework to do on the brush guard, thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 AM

If you really want front end protection, ditch the brushguard idea and go with something like an ARB bumper. I do sometimes run tight trails where brush and small branches hit the front, and for that a brushguard is great. When it comes to accidents, trees, deer, it's a crapshoot and some kind of steel bumper with integrated "brushguard" type hoops is a far better option.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM

K I'll use an ARB, just gimme the $2K for it and it'll be done . All kidding aside I have heard some good things about the Predator S&R Brush Guard and 8K Winch Bumper/Battering Ram

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cornercarver82
K I'll use an ARB, just gimme the $2K for it and it'll be done . All kidding aside I have heard some good things about the Predator S&R Brush Guard and 8K Winch Bumper/Battering Ram
$2k might be a slight exaggeration, but I know what you mean. The reason I have a brush guard on the front of my truck instead of an ARB bumper is cost, plain and simple.

Since we are talking about ARB, Predator brush guard, and Predator 8k winch setup..

ARB winch mount bumper: $1200
Warn 8k winch: $625

Predator 8k winch system: $2000
Predator brush guard: $600

Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 PM

And think about hanging more weight on the front end of an H3 with that ARB.
Upgrading to Alpha torsions would help.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:00 AM
Default Brush guards

Can someone tell me the difference between the Predator HD brush guard and the H3 Search and Rescue brush guard? The both look the same in the pictures however there is about a $150 difference between them.

Attached Thumbnails New member, my little H3 project "Zombie Friendly"-h3hdbrushguard.jpg   New member, my little H3 project "Zombie Friendly"-h3srbg.jpg  
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Selandbe
Can someone tell me the difference between the Predator HD brush guard and the H3 Search and Rescue brush guard? The both look the same in the pictures however there is about a $150 difference between them.
We would but you went and dug up another 2+ year OLD thread instead of starting a new on with your question.

Why do we need this old hunk of crud thread dug up for your two line question?

Quick Reply: New member, my little H3 project "Zombie Friendly"