PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Necro-Bumping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Default Necro-Bumping?

Doc, I admit I am a newbie to this forum. But I have been on many forums and never heard this term.
It is easy to figure out what it stands for in the sense of not bringing the dead back to life.

However, what does necro-bumping stand for? Do the letters "necro" stand for a term I have not figured out?

Just a curiosity question that is driving me crazy. I know "necro" is not racial. And "Bumping" is not sexual.

So where did the letters originate?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

This is just a term to describe people posting in years old threads.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 PM

Ummm....look it up on your favorite search engine?

Necro: dead

Bumping: bringing a thread to the top of a forum

Necrobumping: Bringing a DEAD thread Back to life. (bumping it to the top of the new posts).

What is necrobumping and why is it looked down upon?
Necrobumping is an Internet term for situations involving a forum thread or an encyclopedia comment section in which a discussion has been inactive for a long time, typically years, and is bumped by a reader in what he/she inadvertently believes to be an ongoing discussion. This practice is generally looked down upon because the conversation involved has been abandoned by its participants for many months or even years and is, at present, irrelevant and cast aside by those who once participated in it. Some of the participants may no longer frequent the site with the discussion, making further response unattainable. It can be a hassle for users when they see necrobumped comments on the news feed and have to scroll down on the page and figure out where the comment is and what it's being directed at, and it may give them a false sense of 'this must be an ongoing discussion' without bothering to look at the dates from when the comments were posted.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Ummm....look it up on your favorite search engine?

Necro: dead

Bumping: bringing a thread to the top of a forum

Necrobumping: Bringing a DEAD thread Back to life. (bumping it to the top of the new posts).

What is necrobumping and why is it looked down upon?
Necrobumping is an Internet term for situations involving a forum thread or an encyclopedia comment section in which a discussion has been inactive for a long time, typically years, and is bumped by a reader in what he/she inadvertently believes to be an ongoing discussion. This practice is generally looked down upon because the conversation involved has been abandoned by its participants for many months or even years and is, at present, irrelevant and cast aside by those who once participated in it. Some of the participants may no longer frequent the site with the discussion, making further response unattainable. It can be a hassle for users when they see necrobumped comments on the news feed and have to scroll down on the page and figure out where the comment is and what it's being directed at, and it may give them a false sense of 'this must be an ongoing discussion' without bothering to look at the dates from when the comments were posted.
EXACTLY! Name:  nanadrinkkris.gif
Views: 2739
Size:  4.0 KB

Taint about sums it up for you there Ted. Name:  banana054.gif
Views: 2645
Size:  2.7 KB

Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 PM

I did the search and I totally understood what it meant. I was just curious as to if the individual letters in "necro" actually each stood for a word. So evidently not, it is just a term someone came up with to mean what it does.
Thanks

Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM

necro - the Greek prefix meaning death
Or even more clear

Greek nekro-, from nekros, corpse

Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 AM

and why have this in an H3 sub-forum? we have one to specifically help people with problems on the forum

Old 11-22-2012, 01:12 PM

Manson75,
Sorry if I offended what you interpret the rules to be.
However, contrary to your post I did not have a problem of any kind. If I by mistake posted flagrantly in the wrong sub-forum I would have no problem with the Administrator moving this to the correct sub-forum.