Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Message Center alert AC OFF

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Default Message Center alert AC OFF

I know from owner's manual that this message means engine is too hot and system is protecting it by relieving more stress on engine by preventing AC from running.

But, in this case, that is not the cause of the message occurring. It occurs intermittently. I am sure the engine operating temperature is normal.

Anyone encounter this? What caused it? How did you fix it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

I MOVED this from the H3 FAQ Section..... where it tells people not to post some random H3 question (ie Do NOT Post In This Section sticky thread at the top)..... to the correct section for any H3 questions.

Year and miles is always the opener for any question, which H3 we are dealing with never hurts either.

Are you getting any CEL codes? If not, might be the early signs of a T Stat going bad, or a Temp Sensor going bad, or a combo thereof.

The AC Off is the first layer of overheat protection, done by default when the PCM cannot read or determine consistent operating temp, like when a T State gets momentarily stuck/reacts too slow, or a Temp Sensor is fluctuating the true reading. Check the wiring to the Coolant Temp Sensor and the connector.

If you are relying on the temp gauge for making certain the operating temp is normal, it is not accurate, more like an idiot light with a needle. If you have access to a scanner, hook it up and drive while you either record or a passenger watches actual temp on the scanner to see if it spikes and/or drops rapidly etc...

Good luck. Please report back what you find.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:26 PM

Yes, I am new to forum.

Basic H3 - 2009 - about 95K miles

Thanks for reply. Check engine light activated a code signifying sensor or thermostat issue. Heat is plentiful so concluded it must be coolant sensor. Sorry, do not have the actual code. No other codes came up.

While they were scanning, temp gauge activated, and shortly after that, check engine light deactivated. Since then, the temp gauge went through another cycle of not functioning and then activating. So, I am going to wait till I get permanent temp gauge failure and check engine light again, then change sensor.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Default Ac off lights comes

I have an 08 h3 hummer pulled radio out when put back in I started to get ac off light flashing and my defrog lights doesn't come. Would it be a blown fuse that cause it also radio doesnt come back on

Old 03-04-2019, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chris Deck
I have an 08 h3 hummer pulled radio out when put back in I started to get ac off light flashing and my defrog lights doesn't come. Would it be a blown fuse that cause it also radio doesnt come back on
That's all you. Go back and re-do what you attempted, check fuses & wiring.