Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Manual Transmission clanking noise - H3

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default Manual Transmission clanking noise - H3

OK Guys (and Gals). I had my pass. side CV boot(s) replaced last week. Whether or not this has anything to do with my problem is beyond me. Here goes:

Whenever I shift into 1rst or 2nd gears and let up on the clutch, I hear a sort-of low clanking thunking noise when the clutch engages. My wife hears it also. It's very audible in a parking garage (which yes I know amplifies everything). If I'm already in 1rst or 2nd, and I let up on the gas completely to slow down a bit, as soon as I put my foot back on the gas, I get this big clanking noise from the transmission and/or clutch. It gets better as you shift to 3rd and 4th, and goes away completely when you are in 4x4 Locked position.

I have driven stick all my life, and I know there is going to be a point where even when you are completely in gear, and let up on the gas, there will be a thunk or a clank when you give it gas again, but this noise is pretty loud, louder then other sticks I have driven.

If anybody on the forum has a Manual 5-speed H3, please let me know if you guys hear the same noise. It's so apparent that the hood vibrates when it happens and you can feel it, which is every time you shift pretty much. It's very loud sometimes. It almost feels like something is loose or isnt engaging properly. 4x4 Locked low and high both work fine though.

Is this just the way it is? I usually always drive with the stereo on and wouldn't normally notice it, but I can feel it too.

I put it in locked mode for the first time in months the other day but only for a few blocks. Maybe something loosened up that was stiff and it's supposed to sound like this. I checked all the joints and everything is tight on the suspension and steering. I'm debating whether it's even worth me taking to the dealer which is 35 miles away. Other then this noise everything is fine.

Thanks for reading!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Default RE: Manual Transmission clanking noise - H3

you can try putting the new transmission magnet on.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 AM

sorry, I had too

as far as the knocking noise, I would have the clutch checked, sounds like something ain't right. I had a throw out bearing go on a ford and it made a similiar shake rattle and thud.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

I don't drive it TOO hard, but it's an H3, so it should be able to stand up to things.

I got my laugh from your transmission magnet. If it was only that simple this time!

I guess I'll take it in tomorrow morning. Loaner Caddy, here I come!

Old 08-22-2006, 01:03 PM

The clanking noise could possibly be a broken torsion spring on the clutch disc. The torsion springs basically let the clutch engage smoothly. If one is broken, they will not have the same dampening effect. You may also want to check the tranny mount. If this is loose for any reason you will get the same kind of clanking noise. It is not as noticible in the higher gears because the engine does not have as much torsional torque against the tranny because of the higher gear ratios.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

The first thing I checked were the engine and transmission mounts. They SEEM to be ok, but it's hard to tell. I didn't get the ideal view of them. Thanks for the info. I understand it wouldn't be that noticable because of the torque difference, and I'm assuming that when 4x4 locked is engaged, the differential acts as a soft-of dampener for the shock so that's why it doesnt do it when engaged. Obviously though from what you guys tell me there is definitely a problem. I'll call and make sure they have a loaner.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:22 PM

Is this noise a recent development? How many miles do you have on your truck, if you don't mind me asking?

It might be due to engine braking and there being some slack in the drivetrain, but you said that you checked the mounts and they seemed to be ok (I would think that if its a new noise, it would have to be something big enough to notice visually from the mounts).

I really hope everything works out for you Mike, please try to keep us updated, and we'll try to keep thinking of possibilities.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

The noise progressively got worse, but it seemed to have gotten worse the last week or so after they changed the CV boots, but then again, that could be just me not noticing it as much. I would agree with you about the drivetrain slack.

I have 18,000 miles on it and bought it Oct '05. I used to put no more then 5k or 6k a year on my vehicles, but not anymore I do drive it every day, but not too bad. I made a comment once that I drive it hard, but I meant hard as in faster then average. I take very good care of it otherwise. Unlike the other unhappy people, I don't have a problem taking it to the dealer again because I know it's first-generation and these things are going to happen. I'm going to bring it in to the dealer tomorrow morning at 5:30 AM and just leave it there. I'll let you guys know.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

I had a car once ('89 Suzuki Swift GTi) that had an engine that would break the motor mounts literally every six months because they weren't strong enough for all of the torque of that little beast. Hopefully this isn't going to be a reoccuring thing. I haven't even taken it off-roading yet. That was supposed to be this Saturday. Now it won't. I'm not going to get it back fixed and throw it right into the fire pit Oh well.

ORIGINAL: CerberusSVT

Is this noise a recent development? How many miles do you have on your truck, if you don't mind me asking?

It might be due to engine braking and there being some slack in the drivetrain, but you said that you checked the mounts and they seemed to be ok (I would think that if its a new noise, it would have to be something big enough to notice visually from the mounts).

I really hope everything works out for you Mike, please try to keep us updated, and we'll try to keep thinking of possibilities.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:16 PM

Sorry, I didn't read it all above, took the Evelyn Woodhead sped ridding course..But did you check for any loose sheet metal, heat shields and skid plates?

Old 08-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Yes definitely. You can tell it's not that though. I could literally take a sound clip from my phone and post it somewhere. You would here it. It's that apparent.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission clanking noise - H3