Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

magnaflow exhaust manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Default magnaflow exhaust manifold?

Hey everyone, I figured I would start a new thread to get some replies faster.
I have a bad cracked exhaust manifold. I have bubble gummed it back for now but need a new on. I want to know if the magnaflow is any better than the OEM or pacesetter or walker or doorman or any. I like the fact it has a good warranty but I would like to know if it sounds different or better and especially if it gives any gains in HP or mpg? I hope someone else has one and can ring in with some info or advantages. It will cost me about a hundred bucks more than a couple others all shipped to me so I figure lifetime warranty is worth that anyway.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM

I would suggest a header

here is the one I installed
Header install for I-5

Old 02-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

MagnaFlow makes a quality unit. It would be an improvement over OEM, but not as much potential boost as a header without a mini/pre-cat.

If/when my OEM cracks, I'll be replacing it with the MagnaFlow.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 PM

Thanks guys. I think I will just get the magnaflow for now, probably won't have the extra 300 or 400 to goheader. I really want to, but I would have to get it from a US supplier and I am in New Brunswick , canada . So shipping would be horrible. I can get the magnaflow for 520 with free shipping and I think the cheapest header i could find was 850-900 plus shipping and duty. I have a few things I need to do. It has 181000 km on it so catching up now on maintenance and trying to buy quality parts and upgrade when I can.
I didnt see that one skeeter, it is way cheaper. I contacted them for a shipping quote.

Last edited by BERULAKIDE; 02-14-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:25 PM

How much? Just replace it, with any new manifold. That will increase the perfomance, over your cracked manifold. Then look to increase performance elsewhere. I found 1 for $228usd shipped, by Dorman. Anything I have purchased from Dorman, is excellent quality.

Dorman 674-703 Exhaust Manifold Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Dorman 674-703 Exhaust Manifold Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 PM

The header is only 450, Josh from Ott e-mailed asking for postal code for USPS shipping price. Duty isn't A big deal just anonher way to say TAX and Would pay more tax on the magnaflow than the header. Shipping will determine final decision I think.
A couple questions skeeter:
Is yours a 3.5 with one O2 sensor?
Did your rough idle stick around?
What kind of gains did you get?
Any issues other than your broken bolt?
Which would sound better magna or header? Because you said yours was quieter with header and I unsure if it was just because there was no cracked manifold after?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by BERULAKIDE
The header is only 450, Josh from Ott e-mailed asking for postal code for USPS shipping price. Duty isn't A big deal just anonher way to say TAX and Would pay more tax on the magnaflow than the header. Shipping will determine final decision I think.
A couple questions skeeter:
Is yours a 3.5 with one O2 sensor?
Did your rough idle stick around?
What kind of gains did you get?
Any issues other than your broken bolt?
Which would sound better magna or header? Because you said yours was quieter with header and I unsure if it was just because there was no cracked manifold after?

yes I only have one O2 sensor. the rough idle was caused by another issue that I have rectified. I did have a real hard time getting the bolts at the bottom of the manifold out. I previously installed a cat back exhaust, and the header took some of the drone out of it. As far as power or mpg gains, nothing on the MPGs, and if there was some power gains it was not noticeable. I doubt that there would be much of anything I could do to mine that would alot of noticeable power to my truck because I have a lot of tools and skids that add alot of weight. The only complaint with the OTT header was the customer service, but that was the only issue that I had. The flanges are nice and thick. I have heard that the long tube offers better results, but because I already had a cat back system on mine I just bought the stock replacement. I love the sound of my setup, and I get compliments on the sound of it all the time, too.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:25 AM

OK sounds like an easy desision.If Ott is as cheap or cheaper I will get it, if not magnaflow. Just based on price if there isn't any real performance gain either way. I still have stock exhaust so hope it wont hurt it!!! :-) will see.

Last edited by BERULAKIDE; 02-16-2014 at 03:23 PM.