PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Tire Light aftermarket tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Default Low Tire Light aftermarket tires

I have not found through search that this issue has been addressed.
I purchased a 2009 H3 with aftermarket rims and tires. When the previous owner installed the new tires they did not transfer the sensors. I had OEM sensors installed and the TPM SRV light went out and was replaced with the low tire light. The problem is from what I'm finding is that the installed tires are a 10 ply tire and require a higher pressure up to 90psi max. I've lowered the tire pressure to 35psi on all tires and also reprogrammed every tire sensor. According to the door the factory settings are 30psi and from what I'm told they are on a tight range around +-7psi. Lowering them to 35 should have solved that however the light is still on. I'm heading to Discount tire tomorrow to see if they have any additional insight. If anyone has run into the same problems let me know. If there is no solution I'll just increase the tire pressure to 70psi and my next set of tires will be a 4-6 ply tire like BFGoodrich A/T, which I have installed on my 2006 H3.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kujosp
I have not found through search that this issue has been addressed.
I purchased a 2009 H3 with aftermarket rims and tires. When the previous owner installed the new tires they did not transfer the sensors. I had OEM sensors installed and the TPM SRV light went out and was replaced with the low tire light. The problem is from what I'm finding is that the installed tires are a 10 ply tire and require a higher pressure up to 90psi max. I've lowered the tire pressure to 35psi on all tires and also reprogrammed every tire sensor. According to the door the factory settings are 30psi and from what I'm told they are on a tight range around +-7psi. Lowering them to 35 should have solved that however the light is still on. I'm heading to Discount tire tomorrow to see if they have any additional insight. If anyone has run into the same problems let me know. If there is no solution I'll just increase the tire pressure to 70psi and my next set of tires will be a 4-6 ply tire like BFGoodrich A/T, which I have installed on my 2006 H3.

The pressure on the tire is the MAXIMUM PRESSURE allowed in the tire not the running pressure. The recommended pressure is posted on the door of the vehicle. Put your tires at that pressure and you won't have a problem.............10, 2, 5, 7, ply , whatever. The cars pressure is what the vehicle manufacturer recommends. I really don't know why people won't or don't read their vehicle's manual and think that the MAXIMUM tire pressure on the sidewalls of their new tires is what should be in the tire.

Do yourself a favor and save yours or someone's else life, inflate your tires properly instead of risking a high speed blowout...........................

Old 12-11-2011, 11:43 AM

Yes just like the speed limit is the limit and you shouldn't drive over it, that is not how it is for tires. If I were to keep my tires, where they are at currently, 35 and then decided to pull my pontoon boat, I will lose a tire. Despite what you've told me I have been strictly told by Discount tire and the Cheverolet dealership that I cannot tow anything with the tires at that level and that it would be risky to reduce tire pressure in those tires any further. The owners manual is for factory tires, these are aftermarket tires, thanks for your effort.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Rereading my post I noticed I did not explain this properly.
4 ply tire (Dueler factory) max pressure is likely around 35-40psi
10 ply tire (Current tire) Max pressure is at 90 psi

4 ply tire factory recommended setting is 30 psi

10 ply tire recommended setting 65 psi

I have the ability to drive it without issue at cold 35 psi
I cannot tow with the tire at this pressure and must inflate tire before towing.

It has been recommended to me to not deflate these tires below 35psi.

Your statement although seems logical is very incorrect.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Well after speaking with various contacts I've been unanimously told to immediately fill the air pressure back up to 65psi or higher for the winter and then in the summer for towing to increase the pressure to 80-90psi prior to load. The 10 ply tires are way overkill for the towing capacity of a hummer and will result in a stiffer ride, but they are a superior tire. Basically, I need to just ignore the low tire light, but if anyone comes across a solution in the future let me know or if anyone know how to just disable the tpm without an error message that would be handy too. Thanks

Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 PM

I have not seen tires that are supposed to run with that type of pressure, can you tell me the make of tire it is? Usually this type of pressure is for bias ply, bus, true truck, tractor tires..............................And it won't be the first time that a dealer or tire place has had someone over inflate tires. Dealer lack of proper knowledge almost got someone killed on the corvette forum....

It would seem that if what you are towing is putting that kind of weight on the rear tires, then maybe it should not be towed by a hummer..............

Bottom line, if you must put that much air pressure in your tires, then the only solution is to have a tuner, retune your PCM so that it won't attempt to read the pressure monitors. Try to contact PCMFORLESS, and ask if this is possible....

Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 PM

All E Load 10 ply tires are 80 or 90 psi, it's a universal standard characteristic. I'm sure the ply to load to psi is easily googled as they are a set figure for all tires across the board. They are overkill as a towing standpoint for a hummer and are used for say 1.5ton pick up hauling a 5th wheel. This does not mean that it cannot be or shouldn't be installed on various other vehicles. They are a superior in strength tire. The Tires I have are Pro Comp tires which is an off-road focused company All Terrain Tires, Steel and Alloy Wheels, Suspension Systems, and Accessories by Pro Comp USA

That last part of your post is what I'm interested in, as I have yet to find someone that has the knowledge to adjust this or lead me to conclude that it is even possible. I plan making a visit to a different GM dealership this week.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Looked at your site for tires. Excuse my ignorance. These are super tires............................................. ....being somewhat new to the Hummer scene, this is new to me.

I really don't think that a dealer is going to, even if they could, alter the tire pressure system due to legal issues with THEM disabling the system. And the possibility of substituting higher pressure reading monitors would require that the receiver be changed, and probably won't be compatible.

Try these people PCMforless They are the ones who are writing performance codes for the hummers, even to where the gas mileage is increased.

I do understand what you are trying to do. Did not mean to seem so negative in my posts. Just that in a lot of the forums, there are people who don't understand what they are doing and think that the air pressure that should be in the tires is whats printed on the tire and don't go by the manual when they buy different tires.

As an LEO, I have seen SUV tire blowouts. SUV tire blowouts are almost impossible to control the vehicle. Resulting in much more damage then a car tire blowout.

Good luck on your mission..................................

Last edited by jewjenk; 12-12-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

All I can say is, I am not aware of anybody, and I do mean anybody, running 65+ PSI in any tire on any H3.

Your dentist might recommend it for repeat business when your fillings fall out from your ride chatter.

The TPMS issue has been beat to death. Short answer to the solution: Run all four tires at exactly the same PSI cold, 38-40 PSI is the range to keep the lights out, unless you have a dead tire sensor.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:31 PM

Problem Solved:
Discount Tire contacted their Corporate and Corporate contacted GM corporate.

The vehicle set psi can be changed through software that most GM dealerships have access to.

The Value was currently set on that vehicle to an unknown value.

Corporate took my vehicle, Tire, and load capacity of the tire and came back that those tires on that vehicle should be set cold at 50 psi for everyday driving.

The vehicle was set by GM to 50 psi and all tires were raised to 50 psi

Low Tire pressure light is now off.

Dang I don't understand how this wasn't solved the first time. Oh, well glad to have everything working properly.

Quick Reply: Low Tire Light aftermarket tires