Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Looking to Get into another H3, Have questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Default Looking to Get into another H3, Have questions

Hey guys and girls I had an 08 H3 alpha and traded it in a while back and wish I didnt now lol. I am looking for another one.
If I can find a good deal on an Alpha I may be drawn to it.
but what do you guys think of the 5cyl motor and should I stay away from anything with over a 100,000 miles. I see there is an H3x,alpha,luxury
I think 20,000 would be my top dollar. any advice and info you guys can give me would be great thanks
mike

Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 PM

if you had an alpha, you will not want an I-5. Reliablility issues there are plenty of 06 with lots of miles on them now. I have two of them one I-5 and one alpha. I will never trade my alpha for an I-5. I would never buy an H3x unless it was the only one out there. Both of mine are luxury packages. I enjoy them both. I personally would like to have found an Alpha with the offroad package, but I like to go places in mine that everyone else would not

Old 01-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

The 3.7 seems to be a good motor.if you had an Alpha before you should go drive some I5s. Lots of high mileage Hummers out there. I have looked at a few. They very in pretty good condition. Remember, condition is more important than miles.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Ive never driven an Alpha but have owned an 06 for 16 months and I love it. No engine or transmission issues but I did my due diligence before buying to be sure my 06 wasn't part of the vin range with the head issues. Check that before you buy, or buy an 07 up

Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM

Thanks guys, I am leaning towards the 5cyl because the alphas are like 28,000 I want to stay below 20 grand. maybe a low mileage 08. does the 5cyl feel like it cant catch up with itself lol

Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 PM
rsc

It does when you add 35's, a roof rack, armor, a winch and bumper, etc!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:33 PM

I agree with 3hummers. Our 07 I5 has 163,000 miles. and we are the second owners. the first owner was just as particular as we are about it and took very good care of it and did plenty of preventative maintenance like we do. It's a very reliable vehicle if taken care of properly, just like most vehicles taken care of. If power off the starting line is what you're looking for then the alpha is a better choice, but still not a sports car. lol. But has a lot of power. the I5 has plenty of power for us. and off road it is a beast.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 AM

I had an I5 H3 then an I5 H3T. When I decided go to back to an SUV I wanted an H3 Alpha, but made the decision that no matter what SUV I bought it would have a V8. The I5 is adequate. Just driving around completely stock is fine. Adding 35" tires is a noticeable hit. 4 people plus camping gear is a hit. Going up mountain highways causes high RPMs and lots of gear hunting to maintain speed.

I hear great things about a PCM4Less tune for the I5, but there is a chance I may be towing stuff in the future so I decided to rule out the I5. If there was zero chance of towing I may have bought a PCM4Less tune for my H3T as a test, then if that worked well gone with an I5 H3.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
I had an I5 H3 then an I5 H3T. When I decided go to back to an SUV I wanted an H3 Alpha, but made the decision that no matter what SUV I bought it would have a V8. The I5 is adequate. Just driving around completely stock is fine. Adding 35" tires is a noticeable hit. 4 people plus camping gear is a hit. Going up mountain highways causes high RPMs and lots of gear hunting to maintain speed.

I hear great things about a PCM4Less tune for the I5, but there is a chance I may be towing stuff in the future so I decided to rule out the I5. If there was zero chance of towing I may have bought a PCM4Less tune for my H3T as a test, then if that worked well gone with an I5 H3.

I had the pcm4less in my alpha, I thought it was a dog before I put that in.it really made a difference..

Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 PM

I recently bought a Base H3 with 75k miles. So far I cranked up the torsion bars to level it and put 35" tires on. Can't say I lost "a lot" of power, but I think the mpg went down a little. Have to say the loss of mpgs is worth the way it looks. Handles great even with the big tires. I paid $16k and is in mint condition. I suggest you get one soon because they aren't making them anymore and as time goes by they will get tougher to get... Especially in "mint" condition. I feel very lucky and love mine!

Quick Reply: Looking to Get into another H3, Have questions