PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locker not locking

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Default RE: locker not locking

I guess what I'm asking is when you tried engaging it was the one wheels still spinning?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM

Y'all know that thing cuts out at 20 MPH right? If your wheel was spinning at 20 or above it won't lock.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Steve #1

I don't see any reference to it in the BCM or PCM wiring. It may be handled by the transfer case module (behind the cover on the passenger end of the dash).

That's the one - TCCM. I knew it was one them damn *CM's.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:04 AM

You don't want to engage the locker while the wheels are spinning. Ideally, you should come to a complete stop and then engage the locker.

The light will light up when the computer senses the coil is energized.

From Eaton's documentation...

When the switch is activated, electric current is supplied to a powerful electromagnet. As the electromagnet is energized, a torque is created on a drag-plate that activates a ramping mechanism. The ramping mechanism, in turn, translates rotational force into the axial motion of a locking mechanism. The locking mechanism engages into slots or tabs on the differential side gear and locks the side gear rotation to the differential housing. The result is on-demand traction and a fully locked differential. Once the obstacle is overcome and the Eaton ELocker™ differential is deactivated through the switch, a series of return springs promptly force the locking mechanism to disengage and the Eaton ELocker™ differential again operates as an “open” differential.

Our e-locker uses pins. It may take a little movement for the pins to engage if they're not lined up when the locker is activated. But it shouldn't take much to get it to engage. A quick test is to lift both rear wheels off the ground and spin one wheel by hand. When the locker is not engaged the wheels should spin in opposite directions. If the locker is engaged, they should spin in the same direction.

[IMG]local://upfiles/482/2B665C120CFA49D1985514A90B00C447.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-04-2008, 08:44 AM

i was moving very slowly when the rear right started spinning.
as soon as this happened i hit the brakes,put the gearbox in neutral,hit the diff lock button,light came on,went into first and continued.
the rear right was still spinning so i assumed the locker did not lock.
i then reversed out onto flat ground and engaged the locker again,that gave the truck a few feet to move before going up the slope again.still rear right was spinning!
am i doing anything wrong?