PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leveling my H3 and Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Default leveling my H3 and Shocks

Hi guys,,, I'm sorry to ask these questions as I know the subject has been beat to death... I know some guys won't even open the thread because they are so sick of the same questions... however, I've read so many threads on the subject here, I'm a little confused... I do a lot of forum surfing in both the RV and boating world, and see the same questions asked over and over... So apologies in advance... Well, here I go...

I've read in regards to leveling, "24 inches is the max you can adjust your torsion bars"... my first question is about the measurement... from where to where? Center of wheel to the lip of the fender? I would think if you took any measurement on the rear (wheel edge to lip, tire edge to lip) and transferred it to the front, that you could make it work... right?

Second question is in regards to replacing the front shocks after adjusting the torsion bars... Is this necessary, a good idea, or unnecessary? I have a stock 2008 Base with OEM shocks that feel fine. I've read yes and no... If yes, I've been thinking Bilstein 5100s if I replace them... Is this a "best" choice or is there a better one? I'm not an off roader, but if I buy new shocks, want to be able to...

I know I need to adjust after driving a bit and an alignment, that 35s will easily fit (won't even go there!) , and not to buy any kits...

Thanks Steve

Old 12-27-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by StevieG
Hi guys...I've read in regards to leveling, "24 inches is the max you can adjust your torsion bars"... my first question is about the measurement... from where to where? Center of wheel to the lip of the fender? I would think if you took any measurement on the rear (wheel edge to lip, tire edge to lip) and transferred it to the front, that you could make it work... right?

Second question is in regards to replacing the front shocks after adjusting the torsion bars... Is this necessary, a good idea, or unnecessary? I have a stock 2008 Base with OEM shocks that feel fine. I've read yes and no... If yes, I've been thinking Bilstein 5100s if I replace them... Is this a "best" choice or is there a better one? I'm not an off roader, but if I buy new shocks, want to be able to...

First question - Measurement is from the wheel center to the UNDERSIDE of the front fender.
And NO, you cannot just use the rear measurement as reference, all H3's are slightly different and you rear may be more than 24".

Second question - You can stay with OEM shocks, they are good but if you plan on offroading you may want to space the upper mount about a 1/2" below the mounting point. Better shocks can come later.

I know I need to adjust after driving a bit and an alignment, that 35s will easily fit (won't even go there!) , and not to buy any kits...

Thanks Steve
Great job Steve. You have listened to and learned from the experiences of others especially about the kits.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 AM

Bunger, I measured the rear and it's exactly at 24". The front is at 20.5". From what I've read, I'm not going to be able to crank the torsion bars more than 2.25". Is that true? If that is the case, if I go all the way in, the best I can hope for is 22.75", which will still be an inch and a quarter from level. Then what about the shocks?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:41 AM

Bunger, I measured the rear and it's exactly at 24". The front is at 20.5". From what I've read, I'm not going to be able to crank the torsion bars more than 2.25". Is that true? If that is the case, if I go all the way in, the best I can hope for is 22.75", which will still be an inch and a quarter from level. Then what about the shocks?
Absolutely not true. Like I said, all H3's are slightly different from the factory.
You may have seen posts referencing 2.25" or specifying a certain number of turns to the torsion bar adjustment nut. It's all meaningless BS. Most H3's are different side to side too.
The ONLY number that matters is the center of wheel to fender measurement, PERIOD.

Like was posted, you can go up to 24" on that measurement but most of us go 23 1/2" just so the angles on the tierods and CV joints aren't so bad. You don't notice the 1/2" difference front to back anyways.

If you don't plan on offroading then the stock shocks are fine. If you do plan on offroading (something more than dirt forest roads) then you may need to space the OEM shocks about 1/2" at the top mount or look for extended shocks, like Bilstiens.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:59 PM
rsc

Just to throw it out, the offroad/adventure shocks are valved a little stiffer than the base shocks and also the 5100's. Some people prefer the Bilsteins, some prefer the adventure shocks and some folks swear the 5160's beat them both.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:24 PM

I cranked in the torsion bars today to 23.5" on each side. Took 2 cycles of adjustment then riding around. Total number of turns was 7.5 on each side. Alignment actually feels better than before, but am going to get an alignment when I get my new tires... Stock shocks feel fine too.

Next decision is size and brand of tires. I've seen the favorites in here... Leaning towards Duratracs, BF goodrich KO ATs, or Nittos and thinking 305s or 315s. I like the 315s and can actually get them cheaper than the 305s, but don't want the possible rubbing on full turns.

Thanks for your help! I've learned a lot in here so far...

Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 AM

You can't get away from the slight rubbing on the sway bar at full turn only.

Both 305's or 315's will rub and even most aggressive 285's will rub too. It's not a big deal.
305/70/16 (33" diameter) is about 12" wide. 315/75/16 (35" diameter) is about 12-3/8" wide.

I have the Duratracs. In fact I'm on my second set.
I first went with the 33" tires but then realized that the 35's looked so much better. So I bought a set of 315/75/16's and replaced the 33's.
It would have been much cheaper to just go with the 315's from the start.

It may not look much different in the pictures but when out with my buddies and all of them running 315's, my truck looked like the runt of the litter.
So it was 315's for me and I added a 1" body lift too, just because.

With 33's

Name:  100_3449.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  93.6 KB

With 35's

Name:  IMG_20130831_173151_122_zps177e7862.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  65.4 KB

Last edited by Bunger; 12-29-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM

Looks great Bunger! I just got the OEM racks and want to get a basket and lights on top like yours... Also just put a grill guard on and want to get a winch mount and winch. All comes with time and more money...I see you are from Connecticut... I'm from the Mid Hudson Valley. Your first pic looks like out west some place. As far as tires, I'm getting a price of $950 for (4) 315 BF Goodrich KO ATs installed by Mavis. The Duratracs are about $100 more. Trying to get them to throw in the alignment now for free...

Old 12-29-2013, 01:17 PM
rsc

Both of those tires are good choices. The Duratracs look more aggressive and handle snow better but the BFG's last longer. Another choice (one I made after the Duratracs wore out) is Kelly TSR's, the same carcass as the Duratracs but different tread that self-cleans mud being a little more aggressive design. All the goodness of the Duratracs on road and a little better offroad.

The Rola basket with extension is a popular rack on the H3. With 35's, shackles/leveled and the basket my Hummer clears the garage door by less than an inch. (I think my antenna is still 2" higher than the rack so that helps guage things in parking garages)

Name:  image-29.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  48.9 KB
Name:  image-28.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  65.5 KB
Name:  image-27.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  36.6 KB

Old 12-29-2013, 02:40 PM

... As far as tires, I'm getting a price of $950 for (4) 315 BF Goodrich KO ATs installed by Mavis. ...
You NEED (5) tires. The spare MUST be the same size as the other tires.
You will cause serious drivetrain damage if you put a 32" or 33" spare tire in place of a 35" tire.

The AT tires are a little too mild for me but everyone's got their own taste.
The other question is, blackwall out or white lettering out.
99 out of 100 guys do blackwall out.
I personally think that white lettering on an H3 is soccer momish, but like I said everyone's entitled to do what makes them happy.

Both of my pictures were take at the same place - Rausch Creek Offroad Park in PA. A bunch of guys from the Northeast go every year, usually in April and again on the Labor Day weekend. April is the big run. One year we had over 30 Hummers show up.

Name:  zpowerlinehummer.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  111.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0269.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0265.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0405.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  52.6 KB

Last edited by Bunger; 12-29-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: leveling my H3 and Shocks