PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got an immaculate 06 H3...have a few driveline q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Default Just got an immaculate 06 H3...have a few driveline q's

First off, it is a no frills but with the adventure package. Given that it has the 4:1 low transfer case, does it still have the plastic shifter fork like the standard models in 06-07.5? Also, is the front diff open or is it a torsen type limited slip or other type of limited slip? If its open, does the wheel with least traction/spinning the most get some braking from the computer braking system?... even in 4 low when the traction control automatically turns off? The truck now has about 37k mi on it..is it likely that the shift fork will break in the next 38k while its still under warranty. How likely is a dealer to put in the metal one under warranty even if the plastic crapper hasnt broke yet? I Imagine that any GM dealership can do this? Also, how does the transfer case send 40/60 power in normal 4 wheel? is it basically controlled by the braking system as well? Ok, quite a few somewhat detailed questions so thanks in advance.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 AM

Subscribed for answers.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by bcrector
First off, it is a no frills but with the adventure package. Given that it has the 4:1 low transfer case, does it still have the plastic shifter fork like the standard models in 06-07.5? Also, is the front diff open or is it a torsen type limited slip or other type of limited slip? If its open, does the wheel with least traction/spinning the most get some braking from the computer braking system?... even in 4 low when the traction control automatically turns off? The truck now has about 37k mi on it..is it likely that the shift fork will break in the next 38k while its still under warranty. How likely is a dealer to put in the metal one under warranty even if the plastic crapper hasnt broke yet? I Imagine that any GM dealership can do this? Also, how does the transfer case send 40/60 power in normal 4 wheel? is it basically controlled by the braking system as well? Ok, quite a few somewhat detailed questions so thanks in advance.
Plastic shift fork-yes
Front diff is a standard open unit.
Yes spinning wheel gets brake even in 4low from traction control. I know this has been debated but the tc does not turn off in 4l even if some of the owners manuals were printed that way.
My plastic one was replaced by the dealer without being actually, broke it will really depend on the dealer. Check some other forums to know what to look for to argue your case on the shift fork. Or when I have a little more time I'll pm you.
Any gm dealership can do it but if your not getting warranty on it take it to a reputable 4X4 shop and save some money.
TC is not controlled by the braking system check this thread.https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17920

Last edited by 4DIGR; 02-20-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:29 PM

ok, thanks. I read about jacking the back end up...etc and rough turning on dry pavement. I got a 2 year 40k bumper to bumper warranty on it but with a $100 deductable so Im toying with the idea of doing the job myself just to know its done right...I have a little bit of a trust issue. Is there enough room to pull off the t-case from the trans without having to unbolt the trans or engine?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:32 PM

also, if the fork is broke, wouldnt this be pretty obvious to anyone when it wont go into 4 lo? or does the fork only control 4hi/4hi lock?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 PM

also, if the fork is broke, wouldnt this be pretty obvious to anyone when it wont go into 4 lo? or does the fork only control 4hi/4hi lock?
The fork that breaks (there are two) is the one that shifts the transfer case into the lock mode so it controls lock in high and low. The other fork is the range fork that shifts from high to low range and it hasn't been an issue that I've heard of.
Depending on how the fork fails it may or may not be obvious.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:27 PM

ok, thanks. I read about jacking the back end up...etc and rough turning on dry pavement. I got a 2 year 40k bumper to bumper warranty on it but with a $100 deductable so Im toying with the idea of doing the job myself just to know its done right...I have a little bit of a trust issue. Is there enough room to pull off the t-case from the trans without having to unbolt the trans or engine?
I don't know that I've seen a 4WD that the trans or the engine needed pulled to get the transfer case off. Have you?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 PM

I went hunting a dealer that realized what kind of an issue the tc lock fork was and they were happy to change it, I didn't even have to prove to them that it was bad (they knew the issue), this was not the case with another dealer that wouldn't fix it. As much as an issue as the shift fork has been it is most likely a no questions asked warranty from gm so if the dealer knows what they're dealing with they should just change it under warranty and be glad for the work. Not all GM dealers will do Hummer warranty.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 PM

I took a quick glance under the truck and it seems that the possibility of getting the finger just trying to slide the t case back and out. In addition, I suppose that Im thinking its more difficult than just bracing the trans and pulling off the t case given that the dealer, from what I hear, would want a $1000-1500 to fix it outside of warranty with the part being less than $20.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:23 AM

I took a quick glance under the truck and it seems that the possibility of getting the finger just trying to slide the t case back and out. In addition, I suppose that Im thinking its more difficult than just bracing the trans and pulling off the t case given that the dealer, from what I hear, would want a $1000-1500 to fix it outside of warranty with the part being less than $20.
Getting the t-case off would be the easy part of the job, disassembling the case and replacing the fork is where the work is. If you haven't been inside a t-case before proceed with caution.

Quick Reply: Just got an immaculate 06 H3...have a few driveline q's