PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HVAC Dash Control Unit Knob Light Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Default HVAC Dash Control Unit **** Light Out

All,

Let me first say that my warranty on my 2006 is up. With that said...

Yesterday I noticed that the **** that you turn to adjust the temperature inside your vehicle is no longer lit up at night, although the other two ***** are lit up.

Does anybody know if just that bulb (or LED if that's what it is) can be changed and the process to get at it? Do you know what the bulb part number is?

I'm really hoping that I don't need to purchase a whole new HVAC Dash Control Unit.

Description: Dash control unit, hummer h3
Year: 06-07
MSRP Price: $418.07
Your Price: $217.39

Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 PM

The bad news is the bulb is not intended to be replaceable, and the control would have to be replaced. The good news is, if you know someone who is good with electronics, they can solder a new bulb (not sure of size, wattage, ect.), onto the circuit board. BAD DESIGN!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Hello,
i changed the bulbs in the HVAC-control by myself, it isn't very difficult.

Posted it with pics in the following thread:

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16478

regards,

jens

Old 02-26-2010, 02:32 PM

Are the bulbs you replaced 12v .62watts? I'm wondering if there is enough room between the circuit board and the housing (when assembled), to add a resistor, and just replace the bulbs with L.E.D.'s? That way, you'd have a permanent fix

Old 02-27-2010, 07:07 AM

Hello Broken Halo,
i think there will be enough space to ad the resistor. The reason i haven't used LEDs is the angle of the emitted light. A bulb lights all around itself and a LED has a focused beam. The other reason was that the LED would perhaps have a different brightness when dimmed, so you would have to change all lamps to have the same brighness.

That where my reasons to stay with bulbs.....

regards,

jens

Old 02-27-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jens
Hello Broken Halo,
i think there will be enough space to ad the resistor. The reason i haven't used LEDs is the angle of the emitted light. A bulb lights all around itself and a LED has a focused beam. The other reason was that the LED would perhaps have a different brightness when dimmed, so you would have to change all lamps to have the same brighness.

That where my reasons to stay with bulbs.....

regards,

jens
Good points! I just want to verify that the bulbs are, in fact, 12 volt, and the wattage is .62 watts?
thanks!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the link to the other thread. That is very helpful. This was definitely a poor design... should have just made it work with LEDs.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:32 PM

My light went out in the climate control unit and I attempted to replace and when reassembled the lights worked, but the only heat or a/c thing that worked was heat to the defrost. I was told to replace the entire unit as the circuit board could have been damaged and just got a new one in the mail and installed...but I still have only heat to the defrost. Any suggestions for this 2006 H3?

Old 02-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Sorry to have to tell you this, but, I would bet you accidently shorted something when working with the circuit board, and fried your Body Control Module, which is the central brain for all functions other than the powertrain. It's located behind the passenger side kick panel.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:26 PM

Broken Halo,

I hate to hear the news, but I guess I am not surprised. Do you know if this is a job I can do myself? I see on gmpartsdirect.com (where I got the climate control module) that the body control module is listed at $195 and available for $101. I know it would save me a ton versus going to the dealership. I have put parts in before and can easily bolt on a part and plug all the leads in. Can I get this done in just an hour or so? Any info you have is greatly appreciated.

One more thing..I saw on a post in this forum that someone was having TPM issues and the dealership recommended replacing the BCM. Is that correct? I got new BF Goodrich mud tires put on the H3 by Costco back a few months and when the temp outside is below 40 the TCM goes off for no reason...could the BCM replacement fix
this?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: HVAC Dash Control Unit Knob Light Out