Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Hummer bug

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Default Hummer bug

Hello all,

My wife had a 06 H3. She loved it. It had some tranny issues, so we got rid of it. Now she is driving a 07 Charger. I drive a 10 JK unlimited. (lift, tires, etc) Now she is getting the bug for a Hummer again and I am notgiving her my Jeep..... I wouldnt mind her getting another H3, but she wants the H2 this time. (or H2 SUT) I have some concerns. How is the fuel milage, highway excelleration/ride, and any maintenance issues. Off road I know either vehicle is capable, but she will have it on the highway 90%of the time.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2010, 12:30 AM

Wow, you're asking the right guy! We just traded our 3 for a 2 and what a world of difference! I was petrified that the gas mileage would be a killer, and it seems noticeable, but coming out of my 06 H3 that was loaded down with a winch, bumper, GOBI and 35's has leveled the playing field and mileage seems to be almost the same on initial impressions (we've had the 2 for two weeks).
Now for the good part---the 2 is in a whole different world than the 3. Much better ride, smoother, cushier seats, tons more power, bigger, feels immense compared to the 3.
After we test drove a 2 for a day we went back and picked the 3 up from the dealer and were amazed at how harsh the ride felt and how stiff the seats were compared to coming out of the 2. The heated seats in the 2 work 80 times better than the 3, they'll cook your biscuits! The 2 also has heated mirrors, memory seats and much more usable room when you fold down the back seats. Our 2 didn't come with the steps, and you'll need those. I have some on the way now, the removable U-steps so I can take them off for wheeling, but event the tube steps make a difference. Otherwise you kinda have to plan for getting into the truck, it takes some effort. The one odd thing I have to get used to is moving the tire out of the way in back everytime I want to open the rear hatch. Not a big deal, but you do need some room behind the truck to get it opened.
We bought the 2 because we wanted to stay in the HUMMER family, but we want to tow a trailer, and as you know, it ain't going to happen with the '06!
I can honestly say I love the 2 over the 3 immensely. It is everything I needed in a HUMMER and more. I'm not trying to turn off any of the 3 owners, but when you get into a 2 it feels like you're finally in a HUMMER, even as good as my 3 was and how much I loved it.
It will get out of it's own way on the freeway, and daily driving is much more achievable now that we don't have to plan for lane changes so we don't **** somebody off by getting in their way.
We are planning on some serious camping this summer with a trailer, so I'll have long term feedback on how that goes. I can't say I've seen any feedback on trailering with a 2, though it has all the parts in the dash--tow control, the transmission push button for trailering, and a tranny temp gauge.
Finally, if you go with a 2, try to go with 07 or newer for the better powertrain warranty, and it should still have factory warranty left. If you go with 08 or newer, you get the 6 speed tranny and 6.2 liter motor for more power--though my service advisor suggested the 4 speed tranny has a much better feel for shifting and holding it's gears in the mountains when trailering.
Good luck and have fun with your new purchase---whatever it may be!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Twinmill28, thank you. That is the answer we were looking for.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jgrden
Twinmill28, thank you. That is the answer we were looking for.
Alright, don't leave a guy hanging here---what's the verdict??
I gave some good reasons for getting a 2, but there were also some things that could sway you back to a 3. When I said the truck feels immense, it definately feels bigger, but according to the numbers, it's really not all that much bigger, it just FEELs that way. Still trying to round up gas mileage numbers, but I think the 2 comes in a little better in stock trim than my 3 did loaded up (and weighed down!).
I can't speak to the newer Alpha version of the 3, definitely more power, and I believe a better feeling suspension, but I still doubt it will come close to the 2. The biggest thing we are trying to adjust to is the turning radius on the 3 was the best thing in the world, better than a Toyota Camry! The 2 is a bigger truck, and while one of the HUMMER salesmen told me that the 2 has the best turning radius for a truck it's size, it still can't zip around like the 3, though that didn't slow us down for getting into the 2.
On second thought, go with your wife and find your new 2! But I want to see pics and hear feedback for what you guys think. I spent alot of time looking for my ideal 2, it needed to be white with wheat interior, and those traits are really difficult to find in a low mileage 2. Since 08 and up only has the brick colored or black interior and was higher in price than I wanted, I ended up with an 07 with still 1-1/2 yrs of factory warranty on it, plus the extra powertrain warranty that 07 and newer came with. I ordered mine from an awesome dealer in Colorado that treated me right and gave me a fair trade on the 3.
Once again, good luck, and keep me tuned in for what you guys do. Most of all, welcome back to the HUMMER family!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 PM

BTW---Go with the SUT if you won't be hauling kids and tons of gear around!
I have three daughters and needed the inside storage for road trips, so it was logical for me to get the SUV. But if that's not a concern, hands down, SUT is the way to go. That thing is sexy!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 PM

Well, we ended up going with the H3. The H2 is hands down a nice rig. Huge would be my one word adjective... But the wife feels more comfortable in a 3 after test driving the 2. (we did like the SUT a lot better than SUV...) For the type of driving she does, and for what we wanted out of the vehicle, the H3 just seemed like the best choice for us.

We got a white 2008 H3 adventure/luxery package for 25K. Has 9,500 miles on it and is clean as a whistle. It is really about the same size as my JK unlimited, except in height. (I have 4 inches and 35s on thejeep...)

The main thing is the wife is happy, and we each have the vehicle we want, so life is good.

Anyhow, her last H3 was a lease, this one we bought so......that means I can mod it. (running out of things to do on the jeep.) SO I will be scanning the forum for ideas.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the 3 Grizzly. Twinmills is dead on. My H2 was the best riding, driving, capable 4x4 I have ever been in. The H3A is a great truck, perfect for the wife but the H2 is an awesome mix of capability and comfort.