PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"How to" alternative iPod install for Monsoon radios

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Post "How to" alternative iPod install for Monsoon radios

My H3 has a Monsoon radio/amp with a 6 CD changer and XM receiver. I wanted a way to use my iPod and Blackberry without loosing any of my other radio capabilities. In doing my research, I found that the Monsoon option on my radio limited my choices.

The GM Personal Audio Link (PAL) is an expensive option, but will allow the radio to control the iPod. All other aftermarket PAL's list the Monsoon option as unsupported. When I checked with a couple of the aftermarket tech support teams they noted that their PAL's leave power to the Monsoon amp and can drain the battery. Note that members of this forum have installed these aftermarket PAL's with Monsoon systems and reported no issues. I chose not to go this route.

In doing a forum search, I have also seen that it is rather easy to cut into the factory wiring harness and splice into the XM receiver lines to allow the iPod or other device to play through the sound system. Since I did not want to alter my harness, this was also not an option for me.

I found a link that talked about a guy (Ray) on the Vett forum that was making pig tail harness with all of the correct connectors so that the harness could be removed if needed. This option also did not require me to loose my XM receiver. I liked the thought of this so I reached out to Ray to see if this pig tail would work on the H3. Ray was not sure, so I provided him with both pictures and a copy of the H3 plug pin outs. Turns out the H3 are not the same as the C6 Vett. I requested Ray to make a pig tail harness for me using the H3 wiring. He did and it works well. The cost was $75 +S&H of $5 for a total of $80. It was a very quick install and would have been quicker had I either just drilled a hole for the jack in the console or went with the extended plug and dropped it through the gap in the bottom of the console. I chose to install the jack in one of the block out plates that are normally used for off road light switches. It looked like a no brainier until I started to drill the 15/64 hole for the jack. Turns out the jack threads are short and I had to cut most of the inter section of the block out plate with a Dremil tool. This left the blank very thin and the hole slightly off center. I also added a removable stand/holder (I sometimes park is high crime areas) $20 and charger $10. This brought my totals to $110, right in the same price range as some of the aftermarket PAL's. The difference is I don't have to worry if my battery is going to drain.

Below are the simple installation steps:

Note, if you don't like my dash console, please keep it to yourself, I do.

Insert your two fingers into the outlets and pull. This will pull the first couple of clips out and allow you to work your way around the panel clips

Unplug all connectors and remove the dash console.

The simple pig tail harness with the jack option.

A shot of the switch block out plate I wanted to install the jack through. View is from behind

Jack installed. View from back of dash console

View from the front (note a little off center)

Aftermarket iPod charger

Pig tail harness installed

Everything back in place and removable holder in place

Note that when you first start the H3, the climate control system will blink in self test mode. If everything is plugged back in correctly this will stop in about 30 seconds.

Also note that in order to play my iPod or put my Blackberry in speaker mode, my radio needs to be in XM mode and the jack must be plugged in. To listen to my XM all I need to do is unplug the jack. I have to control the iPod from the iPod itself.

I am quite happy with this system and it is working quite well for me.

Ray's contact information:

Ray Kawal
268 Lakeview Drive
Sequim, WA 98382
(360) 683-3027

Ray's Vett web site:

C6 Product Ordering Page

(Note: Ray will be traveling starting January 10th 2012 and unable to make up harness for five weeks)

Bill

Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 AM

What was the model number and cost of the PAL adapter that you found out would DEFINITELY work with the Monsoon system? Thanks

Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 AM

I have a Monsoon single disk with no XM. Will this work with mine?? I would love to have better sound of my Ipod without using an FM transmitter.

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Default Hummer iPod Adapters

I'm new to your forum, but I've been contacted by a few Hummer enthusiasts about adding auxiliary inputs and/or iPod adapters to your Hummer radios. From looking at a few threads on your forum, it looks like there is some misinformation being reported.

I'm not a Hummer owner, but the Hummers use the same communication systems as many other GM cars. Some of the H2s and H3s, depending on the year, use the same Class 2 communication system as the C6 Corvette, which I own and am heavily involved with on the Corvette Forum. While I'm not too sure about your factory Navigation radios, your non-Nav radios are essentially the same as the Corvette non-Nav radios as well as many other GM non-Nav radios, especially those in the '03-'06 full size GM trucks. I'm guessing your "Monsoon system" is just another name for the premium sound system with additional amplifier and better speakers found in many other GM vehicles.

Hummers share a common problem with most of the C6 Corvettes - many of them don't have an auxiliary input to connect a music device, nor do they have an iPod interface to connect an iPod, iTouch, or iPhone to your sound system. Luckily, there are simple plug and play solutions for adding either one.

In mid-2009, GM finally announced their GM PAL (Personal Audio Link) for the C6 Corvette. Prior to that time, Corvette owners had to depend on aftermarket solutions which had problems and mediocre performance at best. In my own 2007 Corvette Z06, I was looking for an iPod solution and decided to do a test of all of the available iPod adapters. You can read about this review by clicking on a link on my main website:

C6 Corvette Modifications

You'll find a link to the review there. Shortly after the review, GM finally announced the GM PAL. I installed and reviewed that as well, and it was clearly the best iPod adapter because it was so well integrated with the GM communication system. A company called Mediatronics designed and manufactures the PAL for GM. The problem with the PAL was that it was a bear to install, requiring you to splice into the factory wiring harness as well. The PAL was meant to be dealer installed, but Corvette owners rarely want GM mechanics tearing into their cars.

I was able to being communicating with the GM engineer in charge of the PAL project, but he was not allowed to provide the contact information for Mediatronics to me. I wanted to obtain the wiring information so I could make the PAL easy to install like other aftermarket iPod adapters. From discussions with the GM engineer, I was able to design and build a very simple installation harness that allowed the PAL to be installed at the XM receiver location instead of behind the radio, which is so difficult on a Corvette. These immediately became extremely popular with Corvette owners, and PAL sales picked up. The GM engineer ended up getting transferred, and he was then willing to give me the information about Mediatronics. Since that time, their CEO, Andrew Carrington, and I have become good friends, and together we've developed the Version 2 PAL, which will work with many Nav and non-Nav GM radios, with or without XM. These same Version 2 PALs will also work in many Hummers, many full size GM trucks, Pontiacs, and other GM vehicles.

The GM PAL emulates an XM receiver, so it has nothing to do with the amplifier and speakers, but it does have to work with the radio. There are a lot of different GM radios, but from the photos I've seen on your Hummer forum, your radios are essentially the same as the Corvette non-Nav radio and the non-Nav radios in the Class 2 full size GM trucks.

The Version 2 PAL will work in your non-Nav radios, with or without XM, because they will create an XM band on your radio, whether or not you have an XM receiver. The Version 2 PAL takes over the XM2 band if you have an XM receiver or creates one if you don't. If you go to my main website, click on the top link for the PAL page, then click on the link for operation of the non-Nav radio to see how they will work. Although your radios look slightly different on the face, the operation is the same. Also, on my main website, you'll find a link near the bottom for the installation of a Version 2 PAL in my '06 GMC Sierra pickup with a non-Nav radio. This radio is also similar to your Hummer radios.

The Version 2 PAL is an excellent interface if you have an iPod, iTouch, or iPhone because they all use the same proprietary 30 pin connector designed by Apple. The Version 2 PAL will allow you to control your iPod from the radio, do searches, display the song information on your radio, and also charge your iPod whenever you are driving. The Version 2 PAL also provides an auxiliary input to connect other devices and smartphones so you can use them as a handsfree phone. The Version 2 PAL will connect either to the back of your radio using a special installation harness or at the XM receiver using a different harness. The kit you require depends on your XM situation.

If you don't use an iPod or iPhone, but have some other sort of music device, all you need is an auxiliary input. For this option, you do need XM, because you need the XM band on your radio to choose for your auxiliary input. Again, on my main website, you'll find a link to Adding An Auxiliary into to your C6 Corvette. This link describes the options you have for connecting a plug and play harness - if you have XM! An auxiliary input will allow you to listen to any music device through your sound system, but it will not allow any control of your device at the radio, it will not display any song information, and it will not charge your device. Still, while nowhere near the PAL in features, some owners will choose one of these less expensive options. The previous posts by Bill Newns above describe one of my AUX-3 harnesses modified for a Hummer. (The Hummers have very slightly different wiring than the Corvettes, but the changes are minimal.)

My email address is on my main website, so feel free to contact me if you would like any further information.

Ray

Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Great write-up Ray! I'm sure the other HUMMER owners on this forum appreciate this information as much as I do. As far as the MONSOON system, it's my understanding that the amp senses a 'signal' from 'wherever', and turns the amp off and on. Apparently some of the aftermarket kits out there don't/can't control this signal, and leave the amp in an 'on' condition, thus putting a continuous drain on the battery. If you can advise as to whether or not the PAL system you are referring to takes this condition into consideration, that would clear up a lot of the confusion we are facing. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:44 PM

I too just recently ordered Ray's $75 version harness and all works great with my XM/Monsoon/6 disc system for my ipod..

Thanks again Ray!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Great write-up Ray! I'm sure the other HUMMER owners on this forum appreciate this information as much as I do. As far as the MONSOON system, it's my understanding that the amp senses a 'signal' from 'wherever', and turns the amp off and on. Apparently some of the aftermarket kits out there don't/can't control this signal, and leave the amp in an 'on' condition, thus putting a continuous drain on the battery. If you can advise as to whether or not the PAL system you are referring to takes this condition into consideration, that would clear up a lot of the confusion we are facing. Thanks!
I'll put this question to Mediatronics and see what they say. The information I have from their Application guide is that the Class 2 PALs will work on any '03-'07 H2 or any '06-'09 H3. Depending on whether or not the vehicle has XM, a different installation harness will work - one harness connects to the radio and the other alternative is to the XM receiver. In the Corvette, the XM installation is far easier than the radio installation, but the Hummer may be easier to access the radio (I'm only guessing).

Ray

Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by khanson.82
I too just recently ordered Ray's $75 version harness and all works great with my XM/Monsoon/6 disc system for my ipod..

Thanks again Ray!
This was a special version of the "AUX-3" harness I made up for Keith. I had to add a wire to the harness to pass through the XM communication wire. This will work fine as an auxiliary input, but it lacks all of the PAL features, such as control of the iPod from the radio, song information, and iPod charging. This is a good choice for owners who do not have an iPod or iPhone, but instead have some other type of music device.

Ray

Old 12-29-2011, 04:21 PM

I do have an Iphone, but I picked up one of those $5 cigarrette lighter/USB converters and used the iphone cable that comes with it for the computer and it works great!
I guess it's the cheap man's way!

Thanks,

Old 12-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Default BlueFusion Bluetooth Car Kit for select GM Class 2 Vehicles 2000 - UP BFCL2K

So i was stressing over not being able to listen to my favorite AM talk radio for my entire daily commute home. I would loose the station mid way through my commute. The station is on I heart Radio on my droid but trying to listen to the pitiful speaker on the droid while driving at highway speeds didn't cut it. (Background) my vehicle is a 2008 H3 Alpha with Monsoon and NAV running 305/70-16 General Grabber AT2 tires so at highway speeds its a little loader than normal. I too searched high and low for a device to add and AUX input to my system and ran into the same roadblocks of the "wont work with monsoon system" disclaimers. I had successfully added the Blue tooth On star VCIM but that is not able to do A2DP so it wont stream blue tooth music. I found this device on eBay , Blue Fusion Blue tooth Car Kit for select GM Class 2 Vehicles 2000 - UP BFCL2K for 49.00 bucks.
I figured by the install instructions that I would need an addition harness that Scosche also sells. there are 2 ways to install, 1 if you have XM and 1 if you don't. To my surprise when the unit arrived it had all necessary cables in the kit. Installation is simple unplug connector from XM unit plug connector from supplied harness into XM then plug connector that was in XM into other end of harness. Now plug connectors into little black box and run microphone cable to a convenient location. (if you want to use the blue tooth phone features). no wires to cut and the hardest part was getting the connector out of the XM box due to its location. This device uses XM channel 1 and when paired with your smart phone will stream any audio playing on the phone to the system in your H3. I don't subscribe to XM so the only annoying thing is when blue tooth is off on the phone you get an annoying feedback on XM channel 1 if you happen to switch to XM . These list for 299.00 on scosche website but look on eBay they are much less.

Quick Reply: "How to" alternative iPod install for Monsoon radios