Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Help get my ride smoother

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 03:59 PM
Default Help get my ride smoother

Installed new Monroe Shocks front and back, lowered the front end back to 24" from center of wheel to fender, new tires. My ride still feels a bit rough on the highway or when going over bumps. When I hit potholes in Arizona my steering wheel tends to go all over the place, just feels a bit unstable. I read itno it, I guess steering rack bushings are a common replacement part, so those are on the way.

Is there anything else I should look into replacing on a non-adventure 3.5L at 131k miles?

Last edited by MadDogBimmer89; 05-06-2024 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:17 PM

jmho
But I think 24" is a bit to high. I thought is was so to stay 23.5" or less.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
jmho
But I think 24" is a bit to high. I thought is was so to stay 23.5" or less.
I thought I read 24.5 was the limit. I'll crank it down to 23.5 👍

Old 05-07-2024, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

23.5" is the limit before ride and suspension goes out the window. If that is not where it was when you bought it, then an alignment is needed before you trash the front tires.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:29 AM

Lower the front end to 23.5 or lower form the bottom of the fender flair to the center of the CV shaft spline.
Get an alignment, if the alignment ship is any good they will do an inspection of your front suspension and advise on any "issues" they may have found during the alignment. Heck, some will not even align a vehicle if it has worn tie rods, rack bushing movement, etc.
Repair the "issues" yourself and then go back for an alignment.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:29 PM

What kinda tires are you running? When we bought it, our Metallica had some ghetto low profile Coopers that drove like ****. Make sure your tire load rating is up to snuff.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
23.5" is the limit before ride and suspension goes out the window. If that is not where it was when you bought it, then an alignment is needed before you trash the front tires.
I keep reading mixed opinions, some say 23.5 while others say 24.5 - can you explain in more detail why suspension goes out the window at say 24" vs. 23.5"

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Lower the front end to 23.5 or lower form the bottom of the fender flair to the center of the CV shaft spline.
Get an alignment, if the alignment ship is any good they will do an inspection of your front suspension and advise on any "issues" they may have found during the alignment. Heck, some will not even align a vehicle if it has worn tie rods, rack bushing movement, etc.
Repair the "issues" yourself and then go back for an alignment.
Planning to do alignment tomorrow as I just replaced my torn rack and pinion bellows.

Originally Posted by Red Bluff
What kinda tires are you running? When we bought it, our Metallica had some ghetto low profile Coopers that drove like ****. Make sure your tire load rating is up to snuff.
Nothing fancy, just all terrain 265/75R16

Old 05-09-2024, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

When you read threads/post here pay attention to the date of the info. Back when the H3 was new, a couple suppliers came out with re-indexed T Bar Keys and called them a "Leveling Kit" claiming you could raise the front to 24.5". People here and on other forums (there used to be several online) bought that BS, raised their fronts to 24-24.5" and shortly thereafter realized their ride went to chit, their Axle Shaft boots ripped, popped out of the front diff, ball joints toasted, bushings messed up etc..... Outdated information is not reliable.

Over a while, by the trial and error of many owners, we figured out that 24"+ puts the front geometry too far out of spec and front end suspension parts rapidly deteriorate. For the last 10 years or so, the consensus is 23.5" is the max and does not cause the issues that going higher will.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
When you read threads/post here pay attention to the date of the info. Back when the H3 was new, a couple suppliers came out with re-indexed T Bar Keys and called them a "Leveling Kit" claiming you could raise the front to 24.5". People here and on other forums (there used to be several online) bought that BS, raised their fronts to 24-24.5" and shortly thereafter realized their ride went to chit, their Axle Shaft boots ripped, popped out of the front diff, ball joints toasted, bushings messed up etc..... Outdated information is not reliable.

Over a while, by the trial and error of many owners, we figured out that 24"+ puts the front geometry too far out of spec and front end suspension parts rapidly deteriorate. For the last 10 years or so, the consensus is 23.5" is the max and does not cause the issues that going higher will.
Thanks Doc! Read a few threads on the matter last night, cranked it back down to 23.5", ordered extended bump stops and went to get an alignment done this morning. Did they actually do anything? Lol

Last edited by MadDogBimmer89; 05-09-2024 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by MadDogBimmer89
Thanks Doc! Read a few threads on the matter last night, cranked it back down to 23.5", ordered extended bump stops and went to get an alignment done this morning. Did they actually do anything? Lol
Did you pay them for that half azzed alignment?

Quick Reply: Help get my ride smoother