Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Help With Front Toe Hook/Bumper Damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Default Help With Front Toe Hook/Bumper Damage

We had a bit of mishap with a solid object at a coast speed right into the front toe hook (side of it) which pushed the toe hook base into the light grey bottom bumper steel cover (dimpled the cover in). Question....what is behind this cover? If I buy a new cover is there a problem I won't be able to get the toe hook straight on again (toe hook in frame?). It is bent in slightly but noticeable.

How to remove the light grey cover?

Where is best placed to buy this other than dealer?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:18 PM

Please post a pic of the damage done to the TOW hook...

The piece that it is mounted too comes off realatively easily, but right behind it is the frame of the vehicle, if you damaged that mount your FUBAR...

A good place to look is ebay and craigslist...

or GMPARTSHOUSE... there's alot of options out there...

Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 PM

Pics...

The toe hook just unbolts? No nuts? What do you guys think?

Name:  PICT0001-2.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  94.4 KB
Name:  PICT0002-1.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  115.2 KB
Name:  PICT0003.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  112.9 KB

Old 11-23-2009, 08:35 PM

I think what's behind the grey steel cover is open space, because I have been under my h3 to try and fit a winch to conceal it, I think your better off backing out the bolt that is on the bent side, and try to attack a chain to it and attach the other end of the chain to a big ole oak tree and grab some map gas and heat that bumper up until it's red hot and back up slowly to pull that out. Believe it or not map gas will heat it up within ten minutes, I think it would be more of a pain to try and replace the whole thing. Thanks for posting the pics, that helped out what you were talking about

Old 11-23-2009, 09:04 PM

Your frame is bent brother. It depends on how its bent depends on how you can fix it. Its not really something you just bend back. Your gonna have to take it to a body shop with a puller and have it pulled back to normal. Then your gonna have to buy a new impact bar cover (the gray thing) because yours is ruined. Or you can just live with it which is what I would do.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 PM

I was afraid you guys would say this.....any idea what out of pocket price would be to get a puller fix at a collision shop? For this I wouldn't think it would take too long, right?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Brodie he might not have bent the frame... Blue unbolt both tow hooks (large bolt throught the middle, and than two on each side of the plate) also unbolt the skid plate underneath... that whole silver assembly piece will than come off, dont worry its realatively light in weight... I think the two tow hooks together weigh more than it... than look at the frame after it is off. Take some pics of what it looks like underneath... I would definitely tell you that silver piece is shot, its painted silver and once you heat it up it will crack and peel if Im not mistaken...

Old 11-24-2009, 03:55 PM

you must have hit a pretty big deer!!!! LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 07:16 PM

Dagkan or others....have you guys had the impact cover off? For the amount of bend in the right side of photo bolt area, I'm afraid the frame must have moved to accomodate this movement, or the impact cover is not "flush" with the back of the frame where the bolts go through...is it?....thus allowing for this buckle.

Also....Is the black plastic shroud facia bumper also easy to get off above this?....need to replace it also due to scratched. Just snap off right? Any "trick" methods with these pieces?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:58 PM

Just to give you a bit of an idea.......

This is what your tow hooks bolt to on the back side of the bumper....and what the lower bumper assembly looks like.

(Pictures blatantly stolen from JR3T's DOI winch install thread over on ClubHummerOffroad)

Name:  DSC07373.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  DSC07375.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  DSC07381.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  150.0 KB

Quick Reply: Help With Front Toe Hook/Bumper Damage