Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

HELP battery issues? Red car and lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Default HELP battery issues? Red car and lock?

Right now it has about 80,000 miles on it. I just recently changed the belt.

2006 h3.

I tried to turn on my car it didn't. So I said lovely the battery died, again. It is 25 outside and it hasn't been on in about 3 weeks. So I jump started it. Now this usually works. But this time it wouldn't turn back on after I turned it off after 30 min. So I then had it jumped again, let it run for 40 min (all the lights off everything), then drove it for 20. Turned it off, turned it back on it started. Okay next day. The remote clicker works, the lights work, the car won't start. I try to turn the key and a red light with a lock and car appears on it.

Forgot to add the first jump start, I drove it around, turned the radio on.. there was a whistling weird noise coming out what seemed to be the drivers left vent for the a/c. The whistling noise stopped when the radio went off.

Do I just need a new battery? I been reading those dealership batteries are no good so auto zone or pep boys?

Okay here is the thing maybe it is the battery? The past year or so my battery has just gone out. Or silly me gets too lazy to put gas on its right above the red line well a little higher above, so if I turn that off, it won't turn on. I have to jump start the car, not put gas for it to start.

Another thing. My radio sometimes wont turn on with the car, so I know electrical? But I just had the electrical checked a while back and they fixed "the problem" that was there. But now it does it again?

I've had this car randomly not want to turn on and I have to jump start it. BUT I had the battery checked SO MANY TIMES. They kept telling me, you don't need a new battery. But I'm starting to think I do because it is well a 4 year old battery now.

I would REALLY appreciate any kind of help. Thanks.

I think it may be the passlock module thing. Cuz all my lights work and the keyless entry works. It just makes a weird sound whenever I turn the key. So I can't figure out what to do and my manual says wait 10 min after the first 3 tries.

Last edited by bluebow; 01-10-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:20 AM

Its quite possible the battery needs to be changed it cant hurt to do it cause its something that will need to be done sooner or later. The only thing is that mentioning of a noise while driving from when radio is put on It could also be the alternator. I would start with a new battery see what happens its the cheaper solution to do trouble shooting in this case.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:40 PM

But what is with trying to start the car, turning the key, I hear a noise. Every other light and security key works. But the car just won't turn on? Is this the passlock?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Great. My key is locked into the ignition again. What is that?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:26 PM

I think skynet has taken control of your car, D-Day is coming. Just kidding, swap the battery first, problems still persist, its alternator or a computer. When it comes to electrical problems these are pretty much the only potential issues. I did read that you said they did a diagnostics though and everything was fine. So I am out of ideas besides what I mentioned sorry.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Older model H3's have a very common issue with the battery terminals and failure. This will give you hit and miss performance, bad connection, and lock your key in the cylinder. Visit Auto one and buy a new set of nice terminals. Since your gonna have to cut the older cables off, buy a decent set that will allow you to add other things via an additional set point or two. This way, down the road you wouldn't need to upgrade if lets say, you add a winch, or high output lights.

Places like custom audio shops and even Bestbuy sell these parts, but they are a kinda high compaired to the gold plated sunami termals (13 bucks each) at Autozone. That should fix you up. Also, with your battery being as old as it is, and a factory battery at that. I would spend the hundred bucks for piece of mind. The winter months can be brutal on a new battery, much less an old one. I picked my terminals up at Autozone, bought the battery at NAPA. They had a better warrant and price to boot.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned
Default new batt, new az terminals, and,,,

if you have elect trbl youMUST have a digital meter.
there cheap an give instant answers on alt condition

1 read batt v b4 start
2 read crank volts, down 1-4
3 read run volts at startup 14-15v
4 lites and fan on volts dip then go back almost to 15

(az=autozone and i do use their batts but other new are all good)

if no increase when lites on, any decrease, the alt is bad

i put az best term on my probe but i never clamp on bare wirs strands. they ALWAYS corrode. i cut part of the strap clamp original and hammered it flat, drilled hole and bolt it to new clamp.

if you must cut off old conn you MUST clean and solder a
round hole conn to the cable and bolt it to new good az clamps,OR you WILL have future nagging headaches

you MUST do it really right, half assed cheap repairs on high current conn just invites the nexr breakdown, usually when its cold, dark and raining in the snow and youre stuck in a foot of mud thats freezing and you lost your gloves. if i missed anything, someone else who made these mistakes like i did will fill in

im done

tom

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 PM

I would advise something in this nature to get you through these cold winter months

Attached Thumbnails HELP battery issues? Red car and lock?-photo.jpg  
Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 PM

I'm trading it in. LOL. That is my solution. I'll get rid of it. No matter the hit or loss.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned
Default dagkana,,batts?

wow!
tell me about them?,,in what?
i like lots of batt power

will it fit h3?
and what is the hookup detail?, not just parallel is it? switch?

Last edited by drtom; 01-12-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP battery issues? Red car and lock?