PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 from Rental Company - Good to Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Default H3 from Rental Company - Good to Purchase?

Anyone have any reasons why I shouldn't purchase an H3 from a Dealer... It was an Enterprise Rental Vehicle... It looks fine... never wheeled as far as I can tell...

2008 Adventure Package with 29000 miles.

Do Rental Companies do regular Maintenance?
Do they do Oil Changes every 3000 miles?

Anything I should be aware of other then crazy-a$$ drivers who may have rented it in the past?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:14 PM

There are two camps for buying vehicles from rental car companies. On one side is that the companies do regular maintenance on the vehicles and are diligent in taking care of them. On the other side is that the people who rent the vehicles don't own them so they drive them abusively. So you will have to decide which camp you fall in. I'm sure you can find good and horror storys to support either side. If its a good deal though I would be tempted to take it.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:41 PM

ever hear the saying beat it like a rental car lol, i never rented one so you should be good lol

Old 06-21-2009, 05:44 PM

I've rented them before... kinda hard to beat them though... other then racing them too hard...

Old 06-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Uh.....Just make sure you check that sucker over from top to bottom....

See if they will let you drive it for a weekend.

Take it from me....When you pay for the insurance and they tell you you're cool, even if all you bring back is the steering wheel.....Well......

Just be careful.......

Old 06-21-2009, 11:11 PM

I took the chance a month ago and bought a previous "fleet" vehicle, as the dealer called it. The way I looked at it was that it still has 2.5 years(30,000 mi) of bumper-to-bumper and 3.5(70,000 mi) on the drivetrain. I'm confident any problems will come up during that time that would have been due to previous drivers. I could be wrong though, hopefully not! I'm banking that it was well maintained by the company. Only time will tell.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Will these companies provide a Carfax and/or maintanance records? Good place to start.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM

Good point. I did get a Carfax with mine. Clean record, I knew where it came from and exactly when it went into service.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 PM

I did a carfax on it... it's clean. I was more worried about how these rental companies serviced their vehicles...

Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 PM

I have only heard one version about the service; it's very good. An ex-girlfriend's uncle, sound made up I know, works/worked for Enterprise at the OKC airport-is it Will Rogers? Anyway, he basically made the point that it does no good for them not to take very good care of the vehicles. How pissed is a renter with a breakdown? They want customer loyalty and you don't earn that with problems. Plus, they only keep the cars for so long before selling them. The rental industry can't afford to create a reputation of selling cars/trucks that haven't been maintained. Sounds good to me anyway.

Quick Reply: H3 from Rental Company - Good to Purchase?