Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Off-Roadability and Size

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 09:25 AM
Default H3 Off-Roadability and Size

I currently have an h2. It makes a really good daily, tow vehicle. and keeps up with most everything on most off-road trails. However, being on the East Coast, the size of the h2 is by far its biggest weakness.

Because of this, I'm looking into a dedicated off-road rig to build that's a little smaller. As far as I can see the h3 is perfect because its small, cheap, and still a hummer. Eventually I would solid axle swap it and possibly throw an Ls in.

Anyone who's had good off-road experience with the h3 like to chime in? How is the size for the trails? Is it as maneuverable as something like a jeep cherokee xj or a wrangler unlimited? How good is aftermarket support for things like lift kits and any information on how difficult fabbing up a solid axle swap would be? Is it worth it to switch away from IFS?

Old 09-25-2023, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Out here in MI, trees make most off road Trails pretty narrow. They are often called "Jeep Trials". We have wheeled with Jeeps (Wranglers and Cherokees) on Trials that are super tight. An H3 can do it all, especially with the adventure/off road packages (06-08 have rear lockers, 09&10s have front & rear lockers). H2s can't get through those many Jeep Trails because of width, sometimes because of weight. One trip with some H3s we were followed by a guy and his wife in their Wrangler for most of a day. They were impressed, had no idea H3s can off road and flex like they do.

Kinda skinny................ you get the idea.

Support for the aging H3 is pretty scarce.. Lift Kits are a memory - sold out years ago. I would buy and Alpha, skip the LS swap idea for I5s, then do your mods to the Alpha, you will just be farther ahead with a completely reliable V8 H3. SAS are pricey, but your hardcore type wheelers are doing them to these old H3s since their purchase price has itself come down.

Personally I think the "Lift Kit" stuff is for kids. H3s are extremely capable with proper tires, Rock Rails and UCP. I would not buy an H3 with a Lift Kit installed.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:27 PM

MHO
Get a 1999 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ. Pick it up out west or down south for a great price and get a awesome rig that has so much support its stupid!
Mean while our poor H3 's can barely get a part they need. Of course if you want hoop'd rims and bling bling chrome its out there in spades lol!