PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Not moving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 07:39 PM
Default H3 Not moving?

Hello,

So long story short, my car was going off the ramp and wouldn't move. It just reverses.

Car also drives at 1 when I put it on. I believe I can switch it to 4 low but not 4 high but both won't drive on it .

My car had an issue the other day going up a hill the tires kinda spin which I thought was odd.

No noises, lights or anything. Car acts completely normal just won't drive.

This is sounding expensive I think any clues or costs I SHOULD be looking at.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:12 PM

Sounds like catastrophic transmission failure. Check the fluid level first. On level ground with engine running at idle. What colour is the fluid first before wiping the dipstick? Red is generally good. Dark red or brown to black is bad. The darker the colour the worse the condition. Is it pink like Pepto-Bismol? That's bad. Like real bad. Like Micheal Jackson bad. Transmission rebuild and a radiator. If the fluid colour is not pink but still, low top it up with automatic transmission fluid, Dexron VI. See what happens.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:44 PM

It’s pink I think but dark out to really see

Last edited by Bruno Gerardo; 06-17-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bruno Gerardo
It’s pink I think but dark out to really see
I had the same issue... coolant mixes with the trans fluid when the radiator goes bad. You have to get an external trans cooler to bypass the radiator to avoid this problem. You're looking at a new radiator, trans cooler, and trans rebuild if that's the case. And yes, it's gonna be expensive

Old 06-17-2018, 09:08 PM

What year is your H3 and what engine do you have? I want you to be sure and understand so we don't have a misdiagnosis. The pink will be a creamy pink like Pepto-Bismol. The colour is caused by antifreeze/coolant in the Hummer, Dexcool, mixing with the automatic transmission fluid, Dexron IV. What colour is the coolant? Should be orange. Check the reservoir first, then check the rad. If there is oil contamination the coolant will also be creamy and pinkish. Just to let you know, in Canada I can get a rebuilt 4L60E H3 transmission for $1125, plus I still have to remove and reinstall it and return my screwed transmission as a core. Then there is the radiator and any coolant hoses as well as flushing the cooling system thoroughly which probably means replacing the thermostat.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:13 PM

The vehicle is 2009 151,000 km i5 I’ll take pics of the fluid colour tomorrow

Old 06-18-2018, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Auto Transmissions wear out, yours appears to have done so.

Have you been running stock size tires?

Old 06-18-2018, 08:17 AM

Good question they are the Goodyear wrangler got them
on last year

question how much will a rebuild of transmission ?

Also so should I trade vehicle in at this point once the transmission is fixed ?

Old 06-18-2018, 04:09 PM

Old 06-18-2018, 04:10 PM

Quick Reply: H3 Not moving?