Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Leans Forward ... Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Question H3 Leans Forward ... Why?

Anyone know? And why is everyone leveling theirs? Did GM make the H3 lean forward for a reason, like better gas mileage?

Thx.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 AM

My reason for leveling is in my opinion it looks much better, meaner. It looks taller when looking at it from the front, creating a little more ground clearance under the front skid plates. Other reason would be to fit 35" tires. Even if Gm intended to get better gas milage out of the h3 by making it lean forward, the difference is minimal.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H3Ray
Anyone know? And why is everyone leveling theirs? Did GM make the H3 lean forward for a reason, like better gas mileage?

Thx.
Two reasons: Fleet MPG; and, NTSA safety rules for front bumper height so in the event of a collision your bumper hits the other guy's bumper and not his face.

GM designed the 3 as an off road capable platform knowing full well that everyone who intends to use it for that purpose would adjust the T Bars to raise the front for 33 - 35" tires and additional clearance. Back in the day, many dealerships would level them for you. The "adjustability" of the front T Bar suspension was designed in on purpose and that is why no aftermarket "leveling kit" is needed.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 PM

MPG may be one (tiny) reason, but as far as I know the main reason is for towing or heavy loads. Don't think of it so much as the front end is lowered, but that the rear is raised so the truck is level when the back end is weighted down.

edit: or it could be what Doc says, I don't know, I've just always thought the higher rear was for heavy loads.

Last edited by skeptic; 11-30-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 PM
rsc

Its all about gas mileage and acceleration. Did you ever notice that when you are standing up and you lean forward, that gravity tries to pull you farther forward until you start moving and fall? Same thing on the H3, it was designed that way to pull you down the road and increase gas mileage. Also, look at all the fast sprinters, they all lean forward when they run to take advantage if this phenomenon (free HP). You can see this in the hot rods from the 50s and 60s, they were known gas guzzlers but doing this 'mod' helped keep the fuel consumptiom under control AND enabled them to be faster. Simple physics really!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:33 PM

I don't care what the reason is. I leveled mine because i hated the way it looked raked.
It was the first of many mods.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 PM

the reason gm did that and this is coming from a gm worker it is more accessable to shorter people, if this vehicle was leveled from the factory some people would not buy it because it is to hard to access. I just leveled my 2006 h3 and iam 6"0 and i still have to "hop" into it somewhat

Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 PM

I cant understand why people wont spend 200.00 dollars to level the h3 properly.I just leveled my h3 with a torsion key kit.I asked my local allignment guy who been in the buisness 20 yrs about cranking the torsion nuts to level and he refused to do it, because it will ride like **** worse than my jeep. my h3 rides the same as it did before

Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Duffy, I'm sure that GM worker means well, but that is about the funniest answer I've ever heard on why vehicles are not leveled. Many vehicles are not leveled from the factory, even cars which are low to the ground. Not leveling so short people can get in is not why they do it. That is a good one though.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by duffy2092
I cant understand why people wont spend 200.00 dollars to level the h3 properly.I just leveled my h3 with a torsion key kit.I asked my local allignment guy who been in the buisness 20 yrs about cranking the torsion nuts to level and he refused to do it, because it will ride like **** worse than my jeep. my h3 rides the same as it did before

1) Welcome to the forum.

2) It appears you know absolutely nothing of which you speak regarding the torsion key lift or a torsion bar suspension in general.

3) Please don't be offended by #2, but unfortunately it is the truth.

4) Don't sweat that you blew $200. In the grand scheme of things it's not that much money.

Quick Reply: H3 Leans Forward ... Why?