Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Help! need answers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 12:30 AM
Default H3 Help! need answers

Help! I took my h3 to a local small town mechanic to see what was wrong. My front end was shaking on the highway and my front tires were wearing. I also needed my O2 sensors and oil sensor replaced. I also got a tune up, oil change etc.
So, I picked up my h3 the mechanic said he would love to buy my h3. Um. No. He said he looked it over and I needed new front tie rods. He would order them and call me when they came in. Three days later I'm driving down the highway and it felt like a explosion under my h3. Black smoke was rolling out and I honestly thought I was on fire. I pulled over and jumped out. I called my mechanic and told him what happened and he said "oh ****, I will have my dad call you" So, towed to his dad's shop and his dad called me 4 days later said that they were going to pay for the parts but I needed to pay 454 for labor. I agreed. He said the transfer case fell off and they would replace the drive shaft. 3 months later, yes I'm calling weekly on updates but he said everything is on backorder. Finally, he has admitted that he hasn't touched my h3, he isn't paying for the parts needed and m.j now he says it blew the transmission too and they aren't responsible for what happened. I have no mechanical experience. But, I wasn't having any transmission problems, just the front shake. My 'tire pressure ' light was on and stability light came on.
Does a transfer case just blow up driving down the road? Would there be any warning or signs it was going bad? My h3 is a 2006 and I have 135k miles on it. Would the transfer case cause shaking up front and wear on my front driver's side tire? What I'm asking is 'Does this sort of thing happen, or is this a mechanic's mess up and how do I prove it?

Old 09-29-2021, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid and filter? When was the last time you changed the Transfer Case fluid? When was the last time you changed the front differential lube? When was the last time you rotated your tires?

Get your truck to a REPUTABLE Repair facility so they can tell you what happened.

Transfer cases do not just fall off, you should have looked under the truck. Your transmission could have went, overheated and blew out fluid.

The shaking in the front could have been out of balance tires, bad tie rods, bad front diff bushing, bad steering rack and/or steering rack bushings, bad half shaft(s), but unrelated to Transfer Case and Transmission unless the Transfer Case somehow came loos because fasteners attaching it to the Transmission back out.... not likely.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid and filter? When was the last time you changed the Transfer Case fluid? When was the last time you changed the front differential lube? When was the last time you rotated your tires?

Get your truck to a REPUTABLE Repair facility so they can tell you what happened.

Transfer cases do not just fall off, you should have looked under the truck. Your transmission could have went, overheated and blew out fluid.

The shaking in the front could have been out of balance tires, bad tie rods, bad front diff bushing, bad steering rack and/or steering rack bushings, bad half shaft(s), but unrelated to Transfer Case and Transmission unless the Transfer Case somehow came loos because fasteners attaching it to the Transmission back out.... not likely.
I had taken it to Whitewater tire a few months prior to all this to have a tune up and, check and change everything. My tires were rotated then. I had also purchased 2 O2 sensors and the oil sensor. He forgot to change the oil sensor, mainly because he couldn't find it. I had to print out a diagram for its location. He said he tried to get to the O2 sensor and one he found but couldn't get it loose, the other he couldn't get to. But he tried. So, I waited a month and took it back to have the oil changed again, bought 2 sockets needed to remove the oils sensor and 02. All total it was over $300 . and I supplied the sensors and sockets. He did another check in my h3 because I knew something was wrong with the front shaking and he found the front tie rods needed replaced. He again had it all day, said he couldn't get the back sensor off so he took the entire muffler off and air sprayed it out to clean it, but it wasn't built up. A few days later the transfer case blew up and fell off on the highway.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mechanics do not need the customer to buy their tools, the guy is a BOZO = imbecile. I would suggest having a family member/friend find you a real repair facility and tow your truck out of the BOZO shop to that new location. Then take BOZO to small claims for F'ing up and charging you $$ for nothing.

Most members here could have done the O2 & oil sensors themselves, it ain't rocket science. PS there is no such thing as "couldn't get to" the ___________. That is what real mechanics do, they fix stuff, all of it, not just what they think is easy.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:41 PM

Mechanics do not need the customer to buy their tools, the guy is a BOZO = imbecile. I would suggest having a family member/friend find you a real repair facility and tow your truck out of the BOZO shop to that new location. Then take BOZO to small claims for F'ing up and charging you $$ for nothing.

Most members here could have done the O2 & oil sensors themselves, it ain't rocket science. PS there is no such thing as "couldn't get to" the ___________. That is what real mechanics do, they fix stuff, all of it, not just what they think is easy.

So, I know I am going to have to take him to small claims, but not being mechanically inclined I need to know if I say transfer cases don't just fall off, I would be right without a doubt. That this was the fault of the mechanic?

Old 09-29-2021, 02:05 PM

if he was messing with exhaust he might have removed the lower crossmember that holds the transmission and transfer case.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
if he was messing with exhaust he might have removed the lower crossmember that holds the transmission and transfer case.

So my dad called him and he told my dad that it was not their fault. That the u-joint busted when I was driving and it blew out the transfer case causing it to come off and that then cracked the transmission. So, I need everything from the transmission back.
Is this possible?

Old 09-29-2021, 04:45 PM

You took your HUMMER to a farm with cow milkers, egg collectors, & butchers, on duty?

Old 09-29-2021, 04:51 PM

"We Never Tire"...? Farming begins before sunrise!

Old 10-01-2021, 09:50 PM

He told my dad that my transfer case falling off was not their fault. That the u-joint busted, which blew the transfer case and cracked the housing on the transmission. Is this possible?

And to all the 'farm' remarks , your comments are just trolling. Those comments are irrelevant to my question. Yes, I was born and raised in a farm community, where you won't find a harder working class of people.
No I didn't take them where they milk the cows and butcher them. They raise steers, not milking cows and the butcher is Whitewater Locker, owned by Scott Bowlin. But before you slam the working class, if you ate today. You better thank a farmer! My grandfather always said 'Don't bite the hand that feeds you!'

Quick Reply: H3 Help! need answers