Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Engine reach operating temperature dies off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:01 AM
Default H3 Engine reach operating temperature dies off.

Hi guys, I have a problem regarding my h3 hummer 3.7L. It started to missfire and i replaced they spark plug and coil and the problem still remain the same. So i did cylinder compression test and found out cylinder 5 compression is not in the specs. I remove the cylinder head and found out that the cylinder 5 valve is bend and i replaced it. When I started the car, the engine is running smooth until it reach the operating temperature(HOT). Then the engine dies off, I try to start but it takes me few seconds to crank and start. Sometimes it will dies off immediately, or the RPM is not normal like fluctuating, up and down.

I leave the car until cold and restart again, engine is running smooth till Hot.

I plug in a OBD-II scanner and found out P0017 Crankshaft Position, Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible( Bank 1).

I checked and inspected the timing for 2 times, timing is correct and I'm stuck in this H3 for weeks, any professional can guide me with this problem?

Old 07-12-2017, 05:13 AM

During cold starting, there's fault code stored in Engine Control Unit.
P0036 HO2S (Heated O2 Sensor) Heater Control Circuit(Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0141 HO2S( Heated O2 sensor) Heater, poor performance( Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I would like to know whether this O2 sensor will caused the p0017 code to trigger?

Old 07-12-2017, 08:02 AM

Plugged or restricted cat? Bad O2 sensor or sensors?

Old 07-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. I MOVED this thread because the New Member Section say not to post technical question there, it is supposed to be exclusively for "hello I'm a new guy" stuff.

It is always helpful to include how many miles are on the truck in question.

P0017 is telling you the PCM is receiving signals from the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) and Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) that do not correlate -- are not as expected. They need expected results withing a calibrated range to control spark and fuel. In other words, your timing is off, or whatever the sensors are reporting makes the PCM think timing is off.

Got nothing to do with bad/faulty O2 sensors.

IF you removed the timing chain when you removed the head and skipped a tooth on the gear either direction, that could by your timing issue.

It could be much simpler than that. Like a faulty CKP or CMP, or a bad connection to the sensors (dirty connectors, frayed wire, cracked or failing wire harness).

I grabbed this from another post out there for thought, and so I don't have to type anymore:

Causes
Causes may include:
•Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear
•Misalignment of timing belt/chain
•Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
•Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
•Bad crank sensor
•Bad cam sensor
•Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
•Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged
•An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer
•A mis-built or mis-timed engine
•A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt
•The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open
•The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees

Possible Solutions:
If your vehicle is new enough that is still has powertrain warranty, please let the dealer perform the repairs.

1. First, visually inspect the cam and crank sensors and their harnesses for damage. If you notice broken/frayed wires, repair and recheck.

2. If you have access to a scope, check the cam and crank patterns. If a pattern is missing, suspect a bad sensor or a slipping tone ring. Remove the cam gear and the crankshaft harmonic balancer and inspect the tone rings for proper alignment and make sure they're not loose or damaged or that they haven't sheared the key that aligns them. If they are properly installed, replace the sensor.

3. If the signal appears normal, then check the timing chain/belt for proper alignment. If it's misaligned, check for a damaged tensioner that may have allowed the chain/belt to slip a tooth or several teeth. Also check that the belt/chain isn't stretched. Repair and recheck.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:33 PM

Good day Doc,

May I know where's the proper place for me to post cause I'm new with forum.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Hi Mr Tainter, checked the car is fine and the o2 sensor just replaced couples of month ago.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 PM

Hi Doc, the car current mileage is 50550 mls.

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Welcome to HF. I MOVED this thread because the New Member Section say not to post technical question there, it is supposed to be exclusively for "hello I'm a new guy" stuff.

It is always helpful to include how many miles are on the truck in question.

P0017 is telling you the PCM is receiving signals from the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) and Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) that do not correlate -- are not as expected. They need expected results withing a calibrated range to control spark and fuel. In other words, your timing is off, or whatever the sensors are reporting makes the PCM think timing is off.

Got nothing to do with bad/faulty O2 sensors.

IF you removed the timing chain when you removed the head and skipped a tooth on the gear either direction, that could by your timing issue.

It could be much simpler than that. Like a faulty CKP or CMP, or a bad connection to the sensors (dirty connectors, frayed wire, cracked or failing wire harness).

I grabbed this from another post out there for thought, and so I don't have to type anymore:

Causes
Causes may include:
•Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear
•Misalignment of timing belt/chain
•Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
•Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
•Bad crank sensor
•Bad cam sensor
•Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
•Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged
•An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer
•A mis-built or mis-timed engine
•A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt
•The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open
•The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees

Possible Solutions:
If your vehicle is new enough that is still has powertrain warranty, please let the dealer perform the repairs.

1. First, visually inspect the cam and crank sensors and their harnesses for damage. If you notice broken/frayed wires, repair and recheck.

2. If you have access to a scope, check the cam and crank patterns. If a pattern is missing, suspect a bad sensor or a slipping tone ring. Remove the cam gear and the crankshaft harmonic balancer and inspect the tone rings for proper alignment and make sure they're not loose or damaged or that they haven't sheared the key that aligns them. If they are properly installed, replace the sensor.

3. If the signal appears normal, then check the timing chain/belt for proper alignment. If it's misaligned, check for a damaged tensioner that may have allowed the chain/belt to slip a tooth or several teeth. Also check that the belt/chain isn't stretched. Repair and recheck.

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by danielkoh
Good day Doc,

May I know where's the proper place for me to post cause I'm new with forum.
I already moved it for you. Works like this. Questions about H3s go in the H3 section.

The reason I asked about how many miles is we need that info. to determine if it might have a stretched timing chain or worn out chain tensioners. At 50k something mile, those items should not be an issue.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:14 AM

Hi Sir, I'm new with forum post. May I know my post is moved to h3 section which can be seen by some others?
Regarding the problem, will it be the exhaust camshaft actuator sprocket?

Old 12-09-2022, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by danielkoh
Hi guys, I have a problem regarding my h3 hummer 3.7L. It started to missfire and i replaced they spark plug and coil and the problem still remain the same. So i did cylinder compression test and found out cylinder 5 compression is not in the specs. I remove the cylinder head and found out that the cylinder 5 valve is bend and i replaced it. When I started the car, the engine is running smooth until it reach the operating temperature(HOT). Then the engine dies off, I try to start but it takes me few seconds to crank and start. Sometimes it will dies off immediately, or the RPM is not normal like fluctuating, up and down.

I leave the car until cold and restart again, engine is running smooth till Hot.

I plug in a OBD-II scanner and found out P0017 Crankshaft Position, Exhaust Camshaft Position Not Plausible( Bank 1).

I checked and inspected the timing for 2 times, timing is correct and I'm stuck in this H3 for weeks, any professional can guide me with this problem?
Daniel did u figure out the promblem?

Quick Reply: H3 Engine reach operating temperature dies off.