Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Common Issues & Warnings to a potential buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 02:08 AM
Default H3 Common Issues & Warnings to a potential buyer?

I am interested in purchasing an H3 SUV in MT or AT, however I could not find a thread showcasing some typical issues these cars have. That being said I would like to know what I should look out for, or expect to repair or replace if I buy a H3. I plan on having this as my year round daily and want something I can count on and is relatively bullet proof and I’m really hoping the H3 can serve that role. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Old 11-02-2019, 05:48 AM

Showcasing issues? Thats a funny way to put problems. You could search around a little here and find a few.Some early engines had head issues. Most of that has been worked out. The H3 is pretty solid. It really depends on how used or abused what your looking at is. Carfax can tell you accident history. Since H3 are out of production for many years now. There are no secrets. Look for one with good records garage kept and low mileage...
There is much good info to be found here if you do some digging.

Have fun!

Old 11-02-2019, 02:36 PM

if you look at the forum most activity for problem issues are in the H3 section... read through some of them because they come in by the hour asking. red flag? you decide.

Old 11-02-2019, 04:40 PM

Who left the front door open? "Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners"

Old 11-02-2019, 06:07 PM

Hummerz i don't write the requests it is what it is. by the time they get in the hands of third/ forth and fifth owners they need what they need. its all documented on this site. the mass majority where not trailer queens and there pretty old.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:21 PM

bron, my post was directed at the op wannabe. We can't help if you don't own.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:28 PM

LOL... gotch thanks.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

MOVED to the H3 section.

READ before you post anything. If you would have done that, not only would you finds some answers to your question, you would have seen the Sticky Thread at the top of the FAQ section that says:

"Please DO NOT POST IN THIS SECTION just because you thought up some question!!!!!! This includes all you newbs. Use the search feature and look up your question(s) first, you will most assuredly find your answer.

When you have been on this board long enough to "know" what a FAQ is ...( like more than 400 posts) you might then have an idea of whether a post in here is justified. I am tired of cleaning this up over and over.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation."

Old 11-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Are you planning on doing the work yourself, or paying others? You are thinking about getting into a 10+ year old vehicle and ability to wrench yourself can be very important.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Are you planning on doing the work yourself, or paying others? You are thinking about getting into a 10+ year old vehicle and ability to wrench yourself can be very important.
Excellent advice! Taking a 10+yr old vehicle to a shop, even for an oil change, there's a good chance you will get confronted by the service manager with a list of recommended repairs.

Quick Reply: H3 Common Issues & Warnings to a potential buyer?