PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gpcalero's Spartan Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Thumbs up

Great thread!!

Your rig is looking great. Gotta warn you though, the mods never end, LOL. I just took ours to the shop today for LED lighting in the engine bay, the undercarriage, the wheel wells and behind the spare tire on the back tailgate. Dark blue lights all around for shows inside (ie AutoRama in Detroit in February).

If you wheel much you'll probably want to look into UCP (undercarriage protection) and rock sliders. You can search on this forum.....some of the guys make and sell some great stuff on here.

Good luck with everything.....even school!!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mgoblue85
Great thread!!

Your rig is looking great. Gotta warn you though, the mods never end, LOL. I just took ours to the shop today for LED lighting in the engine bay, the undercarriage, the wheel wells and behind the spare tire on the back tailgate. Dark blue lights all around for shows inside (ie AutoRama in Detroit in February).

If you wheel much you'll probably want to look into UCP (undercarriage protection) and rock sliders. You can search on this forum.....some of the guys make and sell some great stuff on here.

Good luck with everything.....even school!!
Thanks bud! I still have a lot of mods on my list to cross off, haha it's true they never end. I honestly don't wheel to much in areas that'll damage my undercarriage. Mostly small hills and lots of mud holes here in Florida.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM

So this next mod was supposed to be plug and play. And for the most part it was. The LED smoked taillights didn't quite fit flush when we tried to install them.

The body panels (sheet metal) meet behind the taillights and are welded together, form a 45 degree angle and slightly protrudes towards the back of the taillight unit. This was causing clearance issues with the new lights so we ground the excess sheet metal in a 2 inch section on each side about a cm. Brushed it up a bit more with some sand paper and applied some metalsealer then repainted the ground down area to match the body.

Name:  IMG_1591.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  56.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1590.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  48.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1589.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  77.5 KB

I love the new look.

Plasti-Dip is up next!

More to come...

Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Good looking ride. I'm also in Florida. Where are you lacated/where do you go muddin at? What all are you going to plastidip?

Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Good looking ride. I'm also in Florida. Where are you lacated/where do you go muddin at? What all are you going to plastidip?
Thanks bud! I'm over in Ft. Myers/Estero. There's tons of old rock quarries around here and there's also Redneck Yacht Club south of here. What about you?

So far it's gonna be the front grille, tow hooks, rims, & badges. I'll post it up tomorrow!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by gpcalero
Update: Ordered a full set of 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers got a great deal for $750. Already shipped!

I run the same tires. You'll love them

Attached Thumbnails Gpcalero's Spartan Build-028.jpg  
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 PM

I'm up in Clearwater but I go down there to see my girlfriend at fgcu which I assume that's where you go too. We should go wheeling sometime when I'm down there. Idk where the little mud holes and rock quaries are down there so you'll have to show me around.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
I'm up in Clearwater but I go down there to see my girlfriend at fgcu which I assume that's where you go too. We should go wheeling sometime when I'm down there. Idk where the little mud holes and rock quaries are down there so you'll have to show me around.
Yeah I go to FGCU
For sure man. Send me a PM.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Plasti-dipping isn't all that hard with the gun. There is just a lot of prep. Do it right and it comes outs 10x better than plastidip from the can.

First up were the GM chicklet badges and the H3 badges on both sides.

Name:  IMG_1606.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  96.6 KB

Then we did the tow hooks...

Name:  IMG_1607.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  68.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1605.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  83.8 KB

Front hooks.

Name:  IMG_1604.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  73.1 KB

All in all. For the badges and hooks I did a good 8-10 coats each. The gun sprays finer than the can does and the finish is a lot better too (smoother & consistent throughout).

Next up is the front grill and wheels.

Stay tuned...more to come.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:17 PM

Looks good. I plasti dipped my wheels and all my badges. It's holding up really well but when I take it in mud it leaves mud stains on it. Tire shine makes it look like New again though.

Quick Reply: Gpcalero's Spartan Build