PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel cap light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Default Fuel cap light?

2007 H3. 100,000 miles.
just wondering what might make the fuel cap light start going on lately?
Thanks for any help. i remember someone mentioning this before, but when i did a search i couldnt find anything.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 AM

I don't remember seeing anything related to the fuel cap being displayed on the DIC. But if you have uncapped and recapped your fuel cap and it is still being displayed, you might want to disconnect you battery to try and reset the system???

I am not sure if this will work, but it may be an easy 5 min fix.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 AM

it has happened two days now. it shows up where the tpm warning shows up. it went away after a while on the first day. i played with the cap, on off on off. then it came back today on the way to work. it says "FUEL CAP". any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Have you ever read the Owner's Manual???????? There is a reason why every car made comes with one.

FUEL CAP
This message displays if the vehicle’s fuel cap is either off or loose. Pull over as soon as possible and check to see if the fuel cap is secure. You may
also see the check engine light on the instrument panel cluster. If the check engine light does come on when the fuel cap was loose, it may take
a few driving trips before the light turns off. See Malfunction Indicator Lamp on page 186 for more information if the light still remains on. Press and release the reset stem to acknowledge the message and clear it from the display.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM

i did read the manual. cap not off or loose. checked it both times. it reset itself while driving, but came on again durring another drive.

just looking for ideas or sugestions.

What Doc is sugesting doesnt seem to solve the issue im dealing with.
im not stupid, id think id be able to solve a gas cap thats off...

wondering if this is something else???
thanks.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by scuba namena
i did read the manual. cap not off or loose. checked it both times. it reset itself while driving, but came on again durring another drive.

just looking for ideas or sugestions.

What Doc is sugesting doesnt seem to solve the issue im dealing with.
im not stupid, id think id be able to solve a gas cap thats off...

wondering if this is something else???
thanks.
Fuel Cap seal bad or maybe a leak somewhere in the EVAP system that is mimicking a bad or missing fuel cap . Has it thrown a code?

Old 06-04-2012, 04:16 PM

i agree, check for a code on the computer.... before i go off on a rant....

Last edited by kauaineb; 06-04-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:03 PM

it was throwing a code periodicaly before. 0300. misfire. but ill check if any new codes associated with the fuel cap pop up. thanks.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 PM

I had it on one of our 08 Alphas. They ended up replacing the fuel cap under warranty and that pretty much solved the issue.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 AM

thanks Tainter. maybe after 100,000 miles its worn out. it is still flashing the dash light "FUEL CAP" once a day. it comes on then goes off. my comute is 45 min each way. lots of time for warnings to pop up and go off, TPM + FUEL CAP. I have not had time to stop by the shop and have my codes read. ill report back after that. but im sure thoes CEL codes are a whole nother story. i guess ill price a new fuel cap and see if that solves it. thanks all.

Quick Reply: Fuel cap light?