PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front hub bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Default front hub bearing

I need to change my front bearings, so I've been doing some reading and watching videos to figure out what I'm up against. I've done bearings before, but never on the h3. Every other vehicle I've done the new bearings needed to be packed with grease, but none of the write-ups/videos about the h3 cover this step...Do our trucks use some sort of sealed unit that doesnt have to be packed, or are all the tutorials I've seen just assuming that I know about this step...?

Thanks for any insight

Old 02-16-2015, 01:59 PM

Yes it is a sealed unit, the hub and bearing is 1 unit.There not to bad to change. If you plan on keeping this H3 don't buy cheep bearings or you will be doing it agine, with in the next year, I would use ac delco or timkin or bosh stay away from cheep bearings. you get what you pay for

Old 02-18-2015, 12:38 PM

Perfect, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, moneys a bit tight at the moment, I had to go with the cheap-o's (found some online for 150/pair, pretty good deal.) I got the Detroit Axle brand, anyone have any experience with these?

My current bearings are making a horrid noise, this had to be done sooner than later. If these new ones wear out too quick, I'll make sure to pony up the cash for the good ones.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM

I understand things always break when money is low,
I sent Detroit axle a email and asked where were the hub bearings made,what country. and how do I return 1 for warranty . There response was not to tell me where they were made or how to return a bad part, A lot of these Company's buy cheep bearings and rebox them with there name such as Detroit axle. And from what I could find on the internet it appeasers to be just a warehouse and does manufacturer anything.
Please keep us updated on the quality and if they last.
Dont get me wrong im not ragging on you, im just letting you know what I found, And they maybe a great bearing please let us know

Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by woodwardsh3
I understand things always break when money is low,
I sent Detroit axle a email and asked where were the hub bearings made,what country. and how do I return 1 for warranty . There response was not to tell me where they were made or how to return a bad part, A lot of these Company's buy cheep bearings and rebox them with there name such as Detroit axle. And from what I could find on the internet it appeasers to be just a warehouse and does manufacturer anything.
Please keep us updated on the quality and if they last.
Dont get me wrong im not ragging on you, im just letting you know what I found, And they maybe a great bearing please let us know
Woodwardsh I like to thank you and the other people on this forum that take the time to research these things out and let the rest of us know. I never would of thought of emailing the company to ask those important questions. This Forum has a lot of usefull info. and a lot of good people trying to help others. Keep up the good work.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:08 PM

Your welcome im retired so I have the time, These may be good bearings for the money and may get you by until funds are better. But they should not hide things, When you see there add it gives you the impression there made in Detroit, Although they wont tell you where there made when asked,
That's shady

Old 02-18-2015, 11:14 PM

Yea there are lot of shady co. out here the other day I wanted to find any maintenance records on my H3 pulled up auto history usa for a buck I said I cant go wrong boy I was wrong billed me 19.00 .I disputed it won called credit card on a separate issue( raising my credit limit) found I was billed same amount from a different co name Car record usa I knew right away where that was coming from disputed right away then asked how I can stop this from happening again. Credit card co gave me a number for merchants office, called they snubed me until I told them credit card gave me this number to pull my credit card file out of their system which was never authorized by me to begin with. she didn't know how to answer that. Told me she had to talk to a supervisor. she came back and said it was removed (only time will tell)I would think this would be against the law.
Anyhow the info they gave me was all generic and useless. so I still don't know what service's that have been done to my hummer. People stay away from those companies or any co. that charges a buck.
Don't get suckered because it has the word usa in it

Old 02-19-2015, 10:28 AM

Don't sweat the cheaper bearings, I have a GMC Envoy that would eat front hub bearings, bought a cheap pair from a on line supplier with 1 year warranty, they would last 9 -10 months and I would get new ones under warranty, got 3 pair this way. Of course I had changing them down to 20 minutes a side from jack up to jack down.
Its not a bad job, my hummer is basically the same, when you get it apart clean up the surfaces and use liberal amount's of never seize and you will never have a problem having to change them again, its literally a 30 minute a side project. ( after the first one)
Changed the driver side of the H3 25,000 miles ago with a &75.00 hub and all is well.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:15 AM

You are going to need a slide hammer to get the old hubs out. Also, make sure you have new axle nuts as the old ones are not supposed to be reused.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
Also, make sure you have new axle nuts as the old ones are not supposed to be reused.
I've heard mixed reviews on this, but nobody ever has a reason why the axle nut should or shouldnt be re-used...Can anyone explain this one for me?

The new hubs just got delivered, so I'm gonna be tearing into it within the next few days, weather permitting.

Quick Reply: front hub bearing